Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Relax.
    Shoot.
    Have Fun.
    Repeat.
    Yeah, exactly as Spiker has said !
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny is kind of leading the way here, but a little more advice to add to what's already been mentioned. You're doing too much thinking. When I talked about a 5-7 second time frame I was talking about aiming. More or less from the time your pin settles in the bullseye till the bow goes off.

Checking the level, the sight ring and all those other things you talk about are just another part of the shot sequence and in time these will become so automatic as to be inconsequential. This partly is where tweaking the bow to fit you better (over time) helps. If you are shooting something like 20 yards most of the time you shouldn't even have to check your level. You shouldn't have to check or look for your peep. You don't have to check the alignment of your peep with the sight ring. The better your form becomes the more natural the act of drawing and anchoring become. Just don't clutter your brain with too many things at once.

Don't rush your shots, but don't take forever either. Let the shot happen.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Another good exercise (i think) is to take a slingshot and pull it for a while - like a dozen of times - i do it when i don't have my bows with me.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

all of that stuff is part of my rutine. when everything gets settled my normal shot is normally less than 10 seconds from when i start to draw, so im probably ok there huh? when it was nice out i was shooting 3 or 4 arrows at 30 yards as sort of a "bow check" and would then start shooting at 40 yards. after a dozen aarows or so, and if everything was coming together, id start shooting at 50. if not id stay at 40. i was piling up aarows pretty good at 40 yards. im really hoping my revamp in form and basement practice has me shooting sweet like come spring. my little session last weekend at 40 yards was really encouraging. anyone got the fourmula for cuts on angled shots? im figuring i can probably do that in my head pretty easily once i get the math bounced around in my head for a bit.

i dropped my poundage to 5 turns out on my bolts on my 70# bow so im roughly 55ish now..... its reallly feels too light. like i could roll outta bed at 530 and draw it light. did a handfull of shots and sorta liked it. accuracy was better i think. didnt really shoot enough to know for sure though. ill shoot it at 55 for awhile snd see how it goes.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

double post!!!! heh. all of those things are part of my rutine but i guess i dont want it to be a bad, crippling rutine. im trying to stay away from saying "i know" to you guys cause you guys know better. all i can do is try to glean all i can and hope im applying it right.... thanks again!!
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings

SonnyThomas

Default tuning for dummys.......

Justin, I have some age on me, but I can still 70 pounds with either my UltraTec or MagnaTec, but that is not telling the whole story. I found my UltraTec worked the best for me set to 62 pounds for 3D. Here, 3D shots are spaced apart to regain 100% strength. Said, is a shooter drops to 90 to 95% from the first and down to 80 after the second and goes on down hill, like maybe 65% left for the 5th if shooting back to back arrows. Now, give your bow arm 15 to 17 seconds and you're back to 100%. You're allowed 4 minutes to shoot 5 arrows on the 5 spot and 2 1/2 minutes for 3 on the Vegas face.
    The true match up test for target shooting and draw weight; Put the pin on the target and draw straight back and still stay reasonably on target.

Something more to think of;
    Those top spot shooters, articles don't really tell of how much draw weight they drawing and if anything note their 3D bows. One that I know of has his indoor bow set to a whopping 37 pounds - and yes, he won Vegas and has been in the shoot off quite a few times. The winner of Vegas last year walked off with over $30,000.00. I'm willing to bet his bow wasn't anywhere near the draw weight of his 3D bow.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 12-29-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

got any links to the rules and distances at vegas? and how far are they shooting when im watching these work cup vids? 80 meters? i cant imagine so many aarows going out of the 10 ring at ranges less than 60....

Post Thanks / Like

so im only shooting about 30 out of 60 at nickel sized spots at 11 yards in my basement. lighting may be a factor as i cannot see my peep the best. anyway yeah. im hoping to get that bumped up a bit by spring. im refining my shot sequence and spacing everything out a bit more.

SonnyThomas

Default tuning for dummys.......

Vegas is 18 m (19.69 yards), 3 shots and allowed 2 1/2 minutes. Normal leagues and NFAA is 20 yards and the same 3 shots and 2 1/2 minutes.

You have to look under 2 or 3 different avenues for the rest you asked. NFAA, NAA and FITA. 80 meters = 87.49 yards.

I've set up for field a few times - shot in the distances. So the odd ball metric system and me don't get along though some events only have maybe 3 distances to shoot (FITA).

I decline the state championship. Not because of the oddball distances, but that one of the rules; Strictly No Smoking on club grounds. Not the shooter's meeting, not the shooting range, but the whole of the club grounds. Sort of sucks. I mean if I can't smoke then tobacco products of any kind should not be allowed. I sort of fall in with the lyrics of one song; "two out of three ain't bad." Well, I don't drink and I don't beat my wife.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks sonny.... ill see how i do this afternoon....