Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Strings

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Montalaar what material did you use for your strings? I use Bcy. And yes I too like my making my own strings. I feel more confident with my own. I do like the colors you did. I need to expand my colors. I only have six right now.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I only have 6 of them, too. But as every spool costs around 55$ here i wont buy too many new spools soon.

All my strings are made out of bcy452x. Although i learned to make my strings with FF+-yarn for my recurve bow i switched to bcy452x shortly after.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I have an account with bcy. I use 8125 and or 452x. I am also thinking of trying trophy. I am going to be remodeling my basement so I can set up my equipment better. I have a custom motorized string jig and stretcher. I have fun building my own strings. As I can see you too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    I have an account with bcy. I use 8125 and or 452x. I am also thinking of trying trophy. I am going to be remodeling my basement so I can set up my equipment better. I have a custom motorized string jig and stretcher. I have fun building my own strings. As I can see you too!
    I am not sure if there is anything better with Trophy. The percentages of the contained materials differ just a bit compared to 8125 and 452x and i am so satisfied with 452x...

I do everything with my own hands, nothing motorized. Last weekend i just changed the design of the rack by removing the old and slightly bend aluminium posts and replacing them by steel posts. They still bend a bit as soon as i prestrecht the string but it is not that bad anymore. Now i need to find a way to build a new locking mechanism for the jig as the three screws i use currently do not work that good any longer. I could drill a new thread into the aluminium but i do not want that. It would be only a hot fix. Well... Nothing came up my mind yet.

How do you secure your jig from moving?

Post Thanks / Like

I custom built the jig I have. I can use it as motorized or not. I generally build my strings by hand. They turn out good both ways. But I like building them by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my jig is also custom built and i really like it. The only problem is that i cannot really secure the posts from sliding towards each other any longer as the screws that pressed onto the movable part of the jig have no thread any longer. I need to find a different idea for that but i am not sure how to do that.

Okay, i have ONE idea. Well, i will make a drawing and maybe someone here can help me.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a drawing i made of the jig.

The three bolts that hold the sliding profile go right through the wooden insert. Unfortunately the screw thread is destroyed so i need a better solution for that. I do not want to drill a new thread for that purpose as that would only be a fix for some months. THere must be a better solution.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Here is a drawing i made of the jig.

The three bolts that hold the sliding profile go right through the wooden insert. Unfortunately the screw thread is destroyed so i need a better solution for that. I do not want to drill a new thread for that purpose as that would only be a fix for some months. THere must be a better solution.

Any ideas?
    What is the bottom piece (aluminum, steel, ???)
    Is it just tapped and the bolts thread into it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah. Well.

The shifting alloy profile is inserted into a significant larger alloy profile. It is twice as tall as the shifting one so the wooden board fits into it.

So if you cut the whole jig from the side instead of the front (pictured) you would see:
    a really large profile with a wooden board (grey colored in the above picture) and a second (smaller) alloy profile in it. The wood is on top of the shifting profile.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a picture, Simon? I'm afraid my English (and may be yours too ) doesn't allow me to understand exactly what's the problem.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows