Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertising by manufacturers

Post Thanks / Like

sadly 1400fps is about max for a 357.... u might be able to sqeek 1550fps.
    the 41 mag was issued to very few police departments with a 210 grain semiwad cutter, delivered at roughly 900fps. alternate loads include a 170 grain hollow point delivered at a whopping 1790fps. besides concerns of overpenitration, the frames were bigger on the 41, and not everyone liked the bigger size. this gun was marketed as a police weapon and as it turns out was a dismal failure. hunters loved it though. its balistacally superior to the 44 mag in 2 and only 2 bullet weights, 200 and 210 grain.(better KE and velocity) but anything heavier and the KE of the 44 starts overpowering the 41. with the correct adds and a ravinous pack of fanboys, the 41 probably be much more popular than it is now!!

my point? you have to sell your products to people who are going to buy them not anyone else or your product will likely fail.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

thus the catchy slogans...snappy jingles..etc..your right got to get the people to buy your product...keep up with your buddy type mentality.. see it on the range every weekend or big shoot ...last 3d i went to 5 guys all had the same rig right down to arrows..... execpt vain color
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    sadly 1400fps is about max for a 357.... u might be able to sqeek 1550fps.
    the 41 mag was issued to very few police departments with a 210 grain semiwad cutter, delivered at roughly 900fps. alternate loads include a 170 grain hollow point delivered at a whopping 1790fps. besides concerns of overpenitration, the frames were bigger on the 41, and not everyone liked the bigger size. this gun was marketed as a police weapon and as it turns out was a dismal failure. hunters loved it though. its balistacally superior to the 44 mag in 2 and only 2 bullet weights, 200 and 210 grain.(better KE and velocity) but anything heavier and the KE of the 44 starts overpowering the 41. with the correct adds and a ravinous pack of fanboys, the 41 probably be much more popular than it is now!!

my point? you have to sell your products to people who are going to buy them not anyone else or your product will likely fail.
    I PMed you. But to add;
    The .41 Mag came on the police scene with full power loads and afterwards was down loaded, not only because of over penetration, but the majority of police couldn't handle the full power round and even had trouble with the down loaded police loads.

You have to have several pistol reloading manuals laying around to know the full scope of the comparison between the .41 and .44 Mag. I have only one manual by Lyman that gives the .41 mag a edge over the .44 mag in bullet weights of 200 to 210 grs. All other manuals show the .44 mag possessing right at 200 fps over the 41 mag in like bullet weights of 200 and 210 grs. These manuals are; Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Hodgdons and Winchester and One Caliber manuals. For the life of me I can't understand why Lyman is so far off base with velocities widely known for the .44 magnum.

If you want I can copy some of the pages. I doubt One Caliber manuals will copy because of the paper quality. Perhaps overlap and get some to show the difference between Lyman's charts.

At top form years back I was shooting some 300 rounds per week in .44 mag and .45 Colt. I held records at Chillicothe in 200 Meter Silhouette and Slow Fire competition. Here, I won End of the Year Pistol Champion in Silhouette with only competing in 4 of the 8 events. No one has done this since. I also held the records in Slow Fire at 15 feet with sub caliber groups. .378" center to center average for five 5 shot groups with a Ruger RedHawk using .44 Special loads. I have a 5 slug stack of 38 Specials somewhere. Here, my group was questioned and the judge split the back stop and found all 5 of my shots on top of each other and stuck together. The .38 Spl. group measured .337" c/c. I understand both these records have been broken.

I used my pistols for everything, tins to deer and may again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

wow you can teach me shooting tips too!! is there anything you dont do sonny?
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, well I once killed a gopher with a stick! lol Just joking around Sonny. That's some damn fine shooting. I stick to bows and long guns. MY shooting hand for pistols has a mind of it's own. And that mind has ADD. lol

Post Thanks / Like

off topic..... my twin brother used to shoot critters with his bb gun when we were kids. he missed a rabit one day and was so upset he sawed off his sights be cause "they werent right" so anyway he was a good shot and would consistantly outshoot me. and after shooting starlings and sparrows all day with him, and i think he missed like once that day. so anyway we see this starling like 50 yards away and in the top of a 50 foot pine tree..... and he says watch this.......and caps it in the head, no sights...... sadly he lost vision in his dominate eye recently in a shooting incident (he might be able to recover most of his vision though!! it will be awhile yet though) wear your safty glasses!!! (he forgot to put his back down after looking through the spotting scope) basically he makes an average hunter/shooter look bad.....but now hes gotta wait till he gets a new lens and some lasik.

SonnyThomas

Default Advertising by manufacturers

We have lost bearings on the Post. I apologize. Perhaps we should start another to continue.

As for doing things, Justin, I'm heading for 62 years of age. I raced cars on the drag strip when 18 years of age with a 500 hp 409 in a 1962 2 door hard top Chevy Super Sport Impala. I switched to racing motorcycles before age 20, racing a 250 Ossa short tracker and a 125 Yamaha Enduro. My street scooter, 1972 a Harley Davidson Sportster was tricked a bit and able to hit 145 mph at red line and never beaten by 160 mph Hondas and Kawasakis. I went back to hunting at age 26. In my 30s I hammered the Trap ranges, earning 3 club championships shooting Doubles. I had been playing with pistols along the way, but also took in precision rifles. Using a Savage .22-250 with 26" target barrel I have shot many sub 1/4" groups at 100 yards quite few sub caliber groups down in the sub .100" realm. My Savage .30/06 is beyond description for long range accuracy and velocity. Using Sierra's 110 gr HP it will nail 3525 fps within manual listings and Sierra people are amazed. I keep it downloaded a tad to 3447 fps. Best group at 200 yards is .750". I trained my first hunting dog and fell in love with him. I turned down many fine offers for him. When he had to be put down due to cancer I never found it me to train another. My wife and I had horses, 275 over the years, most due to horse trading, but we also had 2 stallions. One was a paint, a own son to paint horse Champion Leo's Justice. The other was Quarter horse, A Sharp Bell, Iowa Futurity winner and Springfield, Illinois track record holder. I got into archery again after a 30 some year of absence. Of my last count and resume I had over 75 times of placing 3rd or better, including sanctioned shoots and one Championship in Field.
    I worked for Caterpillar, Inc. for 36 years and had a job that allowed my fields of play.
    My dad (groan) well into his 80s built some shelves to display some of my endeavors. I lost many firearms trophies due to being stored in a tin shed that had the roof rust out and allowed snow and rain to ruin many. I donated many archery trophies to kids events, still have quite a few and have added to since this picture. Here are some pics of motorcycle, rifle, pistol, shotgun and archery trophies.
    I guess the short of this is, one can do what he or she wants to do (within limits) and if helped along the way can go farther. I would thank Lynn's Cycle Shop and T&S Traders (guns and ammo) for their help. Lyle Brown, gone many years now, gave great insight to breaking horses from the ground up and how to correct errors humans gave horses. And more, I can't thank my wife enough for putting up with my over zealous attitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 12-05-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    wow you can teach me shooting tips too!! is there anything you dont do sonny?
    Things Sonny Can't Do:

1. Yodel worth a crap

2. Scratch his right elbow with his right hand (although he has no trouble on his left side.)

oh...and he has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

SonnyThomas

Default Advertising by manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    Things Sonny Can't Do:
    1. Yodel worth a crap - Well, I could never find a bucket big enough to carry a tune.
    2. Scratch his right elbow with his right hand (although he has no trouble on his left side.) Well, I am left handed, just shoot a bow right handed.
    Oh...and he has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. This is not true. I can walk and chew gum at the same time if I take out my false teeth.
    carlsoii, was that you that left his false teeth at one of ASA ProAms? Check the ASA Lost and Found List. LD may still have them. Lord, 17 binoculars, 12 prescription glasses. And Cell phones galory. A GPS! Someone needs help finding the way around a ASA 3D course? Surely not you.

Post Thanks / Like

nice shootin irons sonny...quite the list of lifes accomplishments too. so was that your sales Ad....lol Heck I would buy a life like that
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/