Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dumb cable question

Post Thanks / Like

Default dumb cable question

Hey friends.

I got a question regarding cables on my ShadowCat.

As you know i made a new set of them for my bow and put them on today. Unfortunately i had only .024" serving yarn but hey, should not be the problem - i thought. The cables are not way thicker than before but they rub on the modules on both cams. I checked them with the drawboard and got the result that i have massive clearance problems.

I tried to correct that by moving the cable slide out of the way. Well.. That COULD help. But i'd need to move that one out for around .. 1" to solve the problem. So now is my question...

Is it possible that there is no other way to get rid of the problem than making new cables with other serving (will take green then as i only have .024 orange) and less strands? :/
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing I can think of Montalaar off the top of my head to help. How many strands of string did you use? What material did you use? What serving did you use? this might help me understand how to help.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

See 'green strings' thread as reference.

Cables:
    20 strands 452x, .024 halo serving

String:
    20 strands 452x, .024 halo serving and .018 center serving

---

A friend of mine asked me why i use 20 strands for cables. My answer is that i want the added strength with my draw of 32".

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

According to what you are showing here there shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I'd have to see it, to figure it out. But maybe some of the others have an idea.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Simon-
    I measured the diameter of the served part of a bunch of my strings, both custom sets and factory, and they are all very close to 2.5mm.
    If yours are 'fatter' than that I can see where it could cause a clearence issue at the mods. Especially at the bottom cam.
    My Nemesis and Alien Z have quite a bit of clearence there but the Alien X and Firecat just barely clear with the 2.5mm diameter cables.
    You may have to reserve with smaller diameter Halo or drop a couple strands on the cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

I worked on my Cattow yesterday. I replcaed thee of four cable servings with ultra thin Brownell serving yarn. This is the thinnes yarn i ever got and if this wont work there is no solution.

What changed?

Top Cam does not rub any longer at the cable. Bottom cam has a slight amount of rubbing but i guess i had this before, too. I replaced the original slide with an older limbsaver one. Or something else. I cannot remember where i took that from. It pulls one cable (from the bottom cam) a bit farther away.

But here is ONE thing that might be interesting for ALL of you:
    I found out that a thicker serving affects cam timing a lot. After changing the serving thickness i could get 0.2" more draw out of the cam with the same timing and lengths. A thinner cable does come into contact with the module later but ALSO changes the whole cam timing.

You may all know that there is a post where the cables that feed into the module are connected to. When drawing the bow up to 32" the thick cables had to move PAST this post. With the thin cables the Cam comes to rest around 1/3" before the cable even comes into contact with this one. Amazing, hugh?

I will see if i can draw a picture with you. But i am still waiting for my Adobe Design package to arrive. I ordered it before Christmas and it still did not show up.

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to know that in case i grow 25cm up and need a 32" DL Now serious, Simon, how thin is this ultra thin serving yarn? I can't understand how some microns can cause such a difference. That's quite interesting.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it is a 0.13 or 0.11 yarn instead of the 0.22 i used before.

I found that very intersting myself. I replaced every serving and checked timing and rubbing after each one with the drawboard (i really love this tool now..) and every time i got a little bit different rotation. Meaning: Every time i had less cam rotation with the same amount of draw length,

Post Thanks / Like

Actually that does make sense!

Post Thanks / Like

Default my dumb cable question

is WHY 20 strands? What is the draw weight on that Shadowcat, Simon? I hope that you take no offence at what I'm going to say, but are you making bow strings or tow ropes.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade