Thread: New Bengal first try: A day of firsts

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bengal first try: A day of firsts

Thanks, Grant Gentry, for assembling my beautiful Bengal!

Finally, after weeks of waiting, I got my brand new 2010 Martin Bengal. No matter how windy and cold it was, I had to go to the shooting and try my bow.

This was my first time with a parallel limb bow, my first time with a mechanical release and my first time with an sophisticated arrow rest. Usually, every time I make a change, it takes me a long time get it right again.

Here's how it looked after my first 3 sets of arrows. 20yrd

After 1/2 dozen sets I called it quit. Far from a crack shot, but I was very pleased to where I left it. On top of strong wind, I was shooting with a pair of gloves. All in all, I'm satisfied with my new purchase. 20yrd
    Last edited by Stéphane; 12-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new bow. For a first time shooting it, looks like you are on your way to success. The Bengal is one sweet shooting bow for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice

very nice , see it was worth the wait. I see some arrows touching there too . cold weather in all nice job...
    do your self a favor get rid of , or keep an eye on that rubber peep tube...is it served in? or tied on?...my granddaughters bows both came with one atached with the suplied plastic cable prong..it wore the serving on one and cut a strand on Y yoke on the other.. its a quilty bow you should be able to go tube less with little troble...you have most likely already settled that string..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

RobD

WOW you caught on to that quick.Your groups are looking good. Bow looks great. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

yep bengals are sweet!!!
    and i dont blame you for not shooting a whole lot in the cold!! i havent shot for days!!!
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Stéphane, great job. I'm glad for you. I personally like the Bengal. This is my second one. I own a 2010 as well. Once you get it dialed in, you'll have a lot of enjoyment.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    very nice , see it was worth the wait. I see some arrows touching there too . cold weather in all nice job...
    do your self a favor get rid of , or keep an eye on that rubber peep tube...is it served in? or tied on?...my granddaughters bows both came with one atached with the suplied plastic cable prong..it wore the serving on one and cut a strand on Y yoke on the other.. its a quilty bow you should be able to go tube less with little troble...you have most likely already settled that string..
    I wasn't as good today, but again the wind and all. As for the tube peep sight, my pro shop told me he tried without it, and it didn't work. Are you saying that once my string settles in, the tube peep system can be replaced by a tube less? If so, when he comes back from hunting, I'll bring it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - once the string gets 'shot in' you should be able to setup a tubeless peep and not have any rotation issues.
    Then again, it depends on the build quality of the string.
    I shot my Firecat about 2000 times with the factory yellow/black string on it and after the first 100 shots or so - I never had any problem with peep rotation.
    If you get a couple hundred shots thru it and still have rotation without the tube - then you may want to put a good custom string on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    ..........This was my first time with a parallel limb bow, my first time with a mechanical release and my first time with an sophisticated arrow rest............
    Made that change myself just a little over a year ago with an '09 Bengal, drop away rest, and even my first time using a peep.
    Started with same tube peep you show and have since replaced with a tubeless G5 Meta Peep.
    Only other change to my set-up I plan to make one day is a drop cord clamp like I noticed you have.

I've been a long time Martin user, and the Bengal has been another nice shooting, reliable bow to add to the list.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Yes - once the string gets 'shot in' you should be able to setup a tubeless peep and not have any rotation issues.
    Then again, it depends on the build quality of the string.
    I shot my Firecat about 2000 times with the factory yellow/black string on it and after the first 100 shots or so - I never had any problem with peep rotation.
    If you get a couple hundred shots thru it and still have rotation without the tube - then you may want to put a good custom string on it.
    exactly...I just wanted to give a heads up on using the supplied cheep plastic prong tube atachment... I replaced my string last summer ,did what the mfg told me to..shot it 20x then instaled my peep.. It has so far stayed put...just as he said it would...now you may need to tweak this some moving a strand from one side or the other, also adding or removing a 1/2 twist on string will put the pepe in line ...Just one less thing you will need to keep an eye on..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/