View Poll Results: Carbon Vs. Aluminum arrows?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carbon

23 100.00%
  • Aluminum

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Vs. Aluminum arrows?

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon is my vote. I like to stump shoot and hunt small critters and the carbons last longer.
    I do still have a lot of 2213's tho and shoot them out of my old compounds just because thats what they were tuned with and now I only shoot them at the targets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Fell back. There are no more ACC's. :P
    No Simon. I did mean FALL back. I still have 8 of the original 3-18 shafts I bought fourteen years ago. Along the way I picked up fourteen 3-28 shafts free from the sales rep I shot for back then. I believe I still have about 10 of them. Granted I don't shoot them all the time, but when I have trouble getting an all carbon arrow to tune well I pull out those little carbon/aluminum shafts. They just seem to have less spine deviation than any all carbon shaft I've used over the last ten years or so and always group better.

I do have to laugh once in a while about some guys saying how much the ACC cost and that they wouldn't buy them because of the cost. Now a lot of these same guys are shooting all carbon arrows that are equal or greater in price, and in my opinion still not up to the quality of the ACC's.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Damn. I knew you would write that. But i really wanted to know at least ONE thing better than you. :P

But yes, it is true. A Carbon shaft will always have a higher spine deviation than any a/c or alloy shaft. That is produced by the way the arrows are made.

I agree with you, Barry. I would still shoot ACC - or ACG as they are now called. I just found out that GT arrows are good enough for me and are even waaaaaay less expensive here.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

ACC were the best arrows I've ever shot by far, but these days I dont shoot well enough (maybe often enough) to be able to tell the difference.
    Victory and GT are consistant enough for my ability and are affordable enough to keep a good stock of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot the GT Expedition Hunters and they are are a decent arrow and price.
    I don't shoot comp,just hunting and practice and they fit the bill.I have 2 dozen Easton aluminums that have not been touched for 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot carbons from my compounds and XX78s from my recurves. I find aluminiums much quieter and those XX78s are plenty tough let me tell ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon,

Check Easton's website under target arrows. ACC's are still there and in all the original sizes. Most times these days I am shooting Gold Tips, too. They're a decent arrow if you get the upper end models.

The reason I shoot them is because the sales rep I shoot for had me signed up on GT's advisory staff a few years ago and I got two dozen of my choice free every year. I always shot the Ultralite shafts and Tim Gillingham would only send me Pro series shafts.

The last couple years I wasn't with GT so had to buy my arrows (no more freebies) and I needed lighter spine but wasn't quite sure what spine. Charts say something around .660 to .690. Closest thing GT had was the .600. So not to spend a lot of money I chose the Entrada 600. I can tell you for sure that spine deviation on these was just terrible, varying as much as .015" around the shaft on my spine tester. It's hard to tell if the spine is right when it varies this much. I ended up getting a dozen Ultralite Pro 600 and find these much better, BUT---as I alluded to above, at a cost near that of ACC shafts.

Right now I just dug my GT 22 Pro's out from under the dust pile to shoot indoor spots this winter. Now how would you think a .300 shaft 27" long would shoot out of a 42# compound? Surprisingly they do very well. They don't tune worth a darn, but they do group for me.

On another note just for information, it wasn't all that long ago Gold Tip arrows were made by a company that now makes VICTORY arrows. I believe Victory started selling their own brand after GT moved manufacturing to Mexico. They've done well.

OK, I gotta quit. I'm rambling again.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

RobD

I shoot carbon. Cause there a lot more durable. And a theres a lot more choices.

NeilM

I shoot carbon. Light, fast and consistently accurate.

What more do I need?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Simon,

Check Easton's website under target arrows. ACC's are still there and in all the original sizes. Most times these days I am shooting Gold Tips, too. They're a decent arrow if you get the upper end models.
    That might be right, but no distributor in europe sells them any longer. And that is since some months. Everything got changed to ACG around 10 weeks ago so you canno order them any longer here in europe.

I agree with Victory and GoldTip as i have heard that already before.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010