View Poll Results: Carbon Vs. Aluminum arrows?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carbon

23 100.00%
  • Aluminum

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Vs. Aluminum arrows?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like carbon at all in the early years, but as of about 10yrs ago I'm all carbon now (mostly Beman ICSH w/a few PSE Carbon Force).

What finally made me switch was the durability out in the field. Got tired of my 2413 XX78 blowing up on me with compound bows in all but the softest ground when shooting grouse at 4-5yds for hunting camp dinner. 2315 held up better for me, but also heavier (though quieter too).

Probably the main reason I stick with carbon today, is I seem to have an easier time finding the combination of weight-speed-arrow balance I want.

The down side to carbon, is I can't recycle them in the rare case I do break one like I could with aluminum.

If I were ever to go back to a traditional recurve, my choice would most likely be aluminum as I think they flex better or are more forgiving off the shelf or w/shoot around rests.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

I had arrows still,so no need to change. Kept shooting the 2315's. mostly just backyard /woodland shooting to get ready for hunting season..Then I got a new B day gift and now needed arrows. Best arrow deal at the time was some Gt vapors... should have know when i placed my order and it was back orderd 8weeks to add to the qty.. joined a club the same year so its feild rds an the like.. new carbons finily show up & you know it.. they are great! take the new rig & arrows to the range an within the afternoon its good to 80+ this included time in press to set timing, paper tune an all.. could not be happer..well yea could have nock collers /uni bushings. need to look into getting me some .was able to get a 2nd doz for a differt bow latter in the year ..and now they dont sell them under that name itsa new name and another 10bucks or so....someone has to have a stash of them uncut somewhere???????
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    Then I got a new B day gift and now needed arrows. Best arrow deal at the time was some Gt vapors...
    Gt vapors are excellent arrows, Arrow Splitter uses them.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

you sideswipe something with a aluminum arrow it's gone , you might salvage the carbon.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    you sideswipe something with a aluminum arrow it's gone , you might salvage the carbon.
    I guess it all depends upon what it is that you sideswipe, here in the Pacific Northwest, we have a lot of wild rhododendrons and huckleberrys. Either one will, when sideswiped, change the direction of flight, sometimes so abruptly that the shaft snaps. When I built my field range out back, had to put plywood in front of any of those two locals, broke at least 8 out of 10 shot into to them. Oh yeah, carbon, aluminum does'nt stand a chance with those two plants.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 12-25-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

SonnyThomas

Default Carbon Vs. Aluminum arrows?

[QUOTE=RLW;35191]The down side to carbon, is I can't recycle them in the rare case I do break one like I could with aluminum.QUOTE]

I guess it's how the carbon is broken. Cracked arrows, say 1 inch or so on either end, I cut short and re-install a nock and refletch or install a new insert and all done and checked I throw them in the bucket for kids. And then I make pens out of some. Inexpensive pens are that, inexpensive. I use electrical tape or scotch tape to build up the head of the pen to press into the arrow shaft.

This one has a Athens wrap and Fusion shield cut vanes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SonnyThomas;35590]
    Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    The down side to carbon, is I can't recycle them in the rare case I do break one like I could with aluminum.QUOTE]

I guess it's how the carbon is broken. Cracked arrows, say 1 inch or so on either end, I cut short and re-install a nock and refletch or install a new insert and all done and checked I throw them in the bucket for kids. And then I make pens out of some. Inexpensive pens are that, inexpensive. I use electrical tape or scotch tape to build up the head of the pen to press into the arrow shaft.

This one has a Athens wrap and Fusion shield cut vanes.
    That's cool!
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I want one of these pens
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

When my wife and I got married back in '94 we used an arrow pen I built for the guests to sign our book.
    Still have it with our wedding junk - plus a few more I'd made back then...

Post Thanks / Like

So it was an archery style wedding? Cool.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows