Thread: Saber quality?

sluggo85

Smile Saber quality?

I am new to bowhunting and looking to purchase a good affordable bow. I went to my local dealer and shot a 2006 Saber. It seems to be a good quality product. I just wanted some opinions from Saber owners.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo85
    I am new to bowhunting and looking to purchase a good affordable bow. I went to my local dealer and shot a 2006 Saber. It seems to be a good quality product. I just wanted some opinions from Saber owners.

Thanks!
    I don't own a Sabre but am familiar with them from past experience. The Sabre is a fine quality bow. It shares almost all of it's parts with upper end Martin bows. The difference is mainly that it has a cast riser (magnesium or aluminum, I'm not sure) where as the higher end bows have machined aluminum risers. Machine risers cost more because of the engineering involved and a lot of wasted material. It takes a pretty good size block of metal to make a machined riser and then there are all the cutouts.

The cast riser, although maybe not as strong, is cheaper to make so the price of the bow is lower. When I said "not as strong" I did not mean they are weak. They're plenty strong. The industry standard for 15 years or so was cast risers.

So if you feel like starting with a Sabre have at it. You could do a lot worse.

sluggo85

Thanks for your response. I am going to go back to my dealer and shoot it again tomorrow. When I went originally, I also shot an Alpine Frontier. I thought the Saber was a lot smoother. I also shot better with it than the Alpine.

Borneo

i owned my martin saber about 10 months ago. i can say it a very good bow with reasonable price. but dyna cam will chew your serving. i l have to get new string and cable set after 3 months shooting . what i did to resolve the problem is, i took sand paper and smoothen the edge of string and cable groove in both cam and wheel. until now, no such problem happen .

but i think you can get new martin bengal (with new smooth cam and paraller design)for just around usd318 (bare bow) at www.yorksport.com. i bought my martin saber package from them.

WR_Orion

I've got a 2006 Saber and love it. For just starting out, I can't see any reason not to get one, unless you take Borneo's advice and have a look at the Bengal. Haven't shot the Bengal but heard great things about it.

I think the serving wear info with the Dyna cam isn't an issue with every one out there. I've had mine since August and no serving wear at all. I do keep the strings waxed though.

I got my Saber package with case, sight, rest, arrows, release, stabalizer, field tips, broadheads and....oh yeah my hat! For $500. I don't regret the purchase at all.

I shot pretty much the full line of 2006 Hoyt's before I decided on the Saber. To me, being new to bowhunting as well, I surely can't see spending hundreds of dollars more on a "top of the line" bow. Not yet anyway.

icewolf

Default Saber

You cannot go wrong with the Saber! I bought one awile back and love it. If you have trouble finding one in your area, look on ebay! I found a dealer on ebay and got a great price. I would stick with a reputable dealer and shy away from indiviuals selling bows...on ebay
    Good luck and happy hunting!

icewolf

Default Saber

You cannot go wrong with the Saber! I bought one awhile back and love it. If you have trouble finding one in your area, look on ebay! I found a dealer on ebay and got a great price. I would stick with a reputable dealer and shy away from indiviuals selling bows...on ebay
    Good luck and happy hunting!

Jack NZ

I've just sold my Saber,It's NOT a bow I would recommend to a friend.
    I love Martin bows but sometimes somebody has to tell the truth or Martin will never know.
    These bows Tourqe like nothing on earth,the top limb twists badly,an they eat strings.
    Other than that they shoot ok.

Elk4me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack NZ
    I've just sold my Saber,It's NOT a bow I would recommend to a friend.
    I love Martin bows but sometimes somebody has to tell the truth or Martin will never know.
    These bows Tourqe like nothing on earth,the top limb twists badly,an they eat strings.
    Other than that they shoot ok.
    We'll Jack I beg to differ with you on the Quality of a Martin Saber. I owned a Saber and it was a great bow. I had some cam lean and serving wear but I shipped it back to Martin and after that I was very pleased. So pleased I bought a Cougar III and a 07 Pantera and am gona be a Martin shooter for life M4L Rock's. They make awsome bows and have top notch customer service. I dont understand the torque issiue you had, cuz I never had any and I shoot 2 deer with my bow spot on. I would deffinately recomend this bow to anyone that is looking for a smooth shooter and a awsome bow.

Jack NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Elk4me
    We'll Jack I beg to differ with you on the Quality of a Martin Saber. I owned a Saber and it was a great bow. I had some cam lean and serving wear but I shipped it back to Martin and after that I was very pleased. So pleased I bought a Cougar III and a 07 Pantera and am gona be a Martin shooter for life M4L Rock's. They make awsome bows and have top notch customer service. I dont understand the torque issiue you had, cuz I never had any and I shoot 2 deer with my bow spot on. I would deffinately recomend this bow to anyone that is looking for a smooth shooter and a awsome bow.
    The Saber is not a Cougar or a Pantera.
    Put one on a shooting machine an watch that Riser twist,,,like me your jaw will drop.Feel the tension on those axle contecting cables at full draw,no wonder the limbs twist.I notice you had problems with yours as well,,,,fixed or not, they were still problems,,,,problems that a lot of owners have had,,,,research on this forum alone will show the truth of that.
    My last compound was a Martin Firecat that I owned for 11 years,,,it's now owned by a mate who has now had it 3 years,,,never a problem of ANY kind.
    You don't have to tell me martin makes good bows,my last five compounds over the last 25 years have all been Martins an my next will be as well.
    Like you say mate M4L,,,,but not the Saber.
    Cheers.