View Poll Results: Single Cam or Dual cam, which do you guys prefer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single Cam

11 37.93%
  • Dual Cam

18 62.07%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Cam or Dual cam, which do you guys prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i like my single cam MOAB and can't say about the duals (have an older style compound with 2 round cams, but don't know whether it is a "dual") When i was choosing my bow i've tried a Firecat but back then i couldn't handle it. May be now when i have a little more experience i'll like the hybrid cams better.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 single cams, and 2 Hybrid. For me, I'm more accurate with the Hybrids. More of a pain to tune, but the pay off is better. Just a better "feel" to the Cat cams. The added speed isn't bad either. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have never owned a dual cam,is there alot to keeping them in tune?
    I really don't need a speed bow,so would it be worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    Since I have never owned a dual cam,is there alot to keeping them in tune?
    I really don't need a speed bow,so would it be worth it?
    The only real pain (on my PSE anyway) was the cam timing. Once both cams came around at the same time, the rest of the tuning was no different than a single cam bow. So there really isn't a lot to it, you just have to have patience to get the cam timing. In my opinion, a dual cam is definitely worth it(as I said in the beginning post, I only prefer single cam because I haven't owned a newer dual cam or hybrid cam).
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

single cam & hybrid cams... tuning is not an issue..over/under rotating is.. but i have since gotten a handle on that..maybe
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    The only real pain (on my PSE anyway) was the cam timing. Once both cams came around at the same time, the rest of the tuning was no different than a single cam bow. So there really isn't a lot to it, you just have to have patience to get the cam timing. In my opinion, a dual cam is definitely worth it(as I said in the beginning post, I only prefer single cam because I haven't owned a newer dual cam or hybrid cam).
    Think I will stay with a single cam this spring.Broad head tuning gave me fits last year,think I will keep it simple for my new bow.Thks for your input

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Martins C.A.T and NITRO cams and the Rytera Hybrix are not true dual cams.
    ummmm......my hybrix cams on my X look exactly the same, outside of the drawstop on my lower cam. they bolth play out cable and take in cable the same on the top and bottom, and the cams themselves are the same... are u sure hybrix isnt a dual cam?
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    ummmm......my hybrix cams on my X look exactly the same, outside of the drawstop on my lower cam. they bolth play out cable and take in cable the same on the top and bottom, and the cams themselves are the same... are u sure hybrix isnt a dual cam?
    Justin,
    "Hybrid cam systems: You can think of hybrid cams as a mix of single-cam and two-cam technology. They do about the same thing as a single-cam bow. In other words, because the top cam is attached directly to the bottom cam (the top cam is called the slave and the bottom cam is called the master) these systems are less sensitive to power cable stretch. When the power cable stretches, both cams move instead of just one as is the case of the two-cam bow. Therefore, hybrid cams are more reliable than two-cam bows because they are much less sensitive to timing issues.

Hybrid cams are supposed to make it easier to attain a perfectly level nock travel back and forward. This is important for good arrow flight. Not all bows produce perfect nock travel. That means that some bows are easier to tune than others are and some canít be tuned at all. Iíll dig into the important subject of nock travel in the next chapter.

It is debatable whether the hybrid has any tuning advantages over a well-made single-cam. This system is certainly better than poorly made single-cams that I have shot. I have endured some amazingly bad arrow flight from single-cam bows whose cams were not properly designed for all draw lengths. I think if these poorly made single-cams had been effectively policed off the market by some licensing agreement, the hybrid never would have gained traction Instead, people began blaming all single-cams for the problems of only a few.

Regardless of why it became popular, the hybrid is now a big part of the bow landscape. Most bow companies have some form of hybrid cam".
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 12-18-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Modified hybrid cam systems: Modified hybrids are the newest style on the market. Some companies call them binary cams. The top and bottom cams are mirror images of each other. Rather than the harness attaching to the opposite limb tip, it attaches to the opposite cam. In this way, the cams are slaved together just as they are with a standard hybrid cam, but the harness tracks and string payout tracks are identical on top and bottom making it very easy to produce level nock travel.

The biggest difference between the hybrid and the modified hybrid cam is the fact that there is no set slave and master. It changes depending on the lengths of the harnesses. All that matters is the fact that the cams are linked together so they canít change rotation independently and go out of time.

To summarize, I donít recommend a two-cam bow. There is not enough to gain from that design that it is worth the nagging problem of always having to check cam timing. Select a single-cam, a hybrid cam or a modified hybrid cam style. However, just to be on the safe side, donít walk out of the archery shop until you know that the bow you have selected can be tuned.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    ..... are u sure hybrix isnt a dual cam?
    Ummmmmm, yes!

I am certain that Martin no longer offers any dual cam option on their current bows.

They have singles and Binaries, only.

A hybrid cam is completely different from either one, and the "Hybrix" cam is a brand name, not a cam type.