Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cougar magnum issue

wshurick

Default cougar magnum issue

Hey all,
    I'm pretty much new to the sport and purchased a used bow to start off with. I was looking to use a bow for hunting and for an occasional archery league shoot. I purchase a 199?-2002 ? cougar magnum and set it up to my liking at a local martin dealer. I recently shot a friends bow and noticed a tremendous differnce. My bow had a "recoil" after the shot. So at a league shoot, tonight I asked a couple ofseasoned shooters to test my bow just to see if any thing was wrong but they could not find anything. Some guys thought it was just the way the bow shot because of the short axel length for the draw weight (65lbs.) I tried a bunch of different stablizers but nothing really calmed the bow down ! So my question to everyone is 1. If you have the same bow is this common ? 2. any suggestions to tame this beast ? 3. can I put a string stop on the bow. Please help

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 01,and it is not to bad for hand shock.It has limbsavers on it and cat whiskers only.I only shot heavy aluminum arrows out of it which probably helped.As for a string stop-Bass Pro or Cabelas has a front mount which screws into the stabilizer hole and wraps around,heard it works pretty good.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

And you can put a longer and heavier stabilizer.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post a pic of the cam and string to give us a better idea if the cam is over or under rotated.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 02 and I have an x-coil by limbsaver for a stabilizer. I do not notice much "hand shock" but this is the only bow I have ever shot, so I do not have much to compare to. I also have limbsavers on the limbs and leeches on the string. That is how it was set up when I received it from a friend.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Just an educated guess at this point, but if the cams are not in sync this would cause a problem. Pictures of the bow would help; especially close-ups of the cams. Make sure they are in focus.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

timing issue would feal horable limbs same deflection post up pic's
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

wshurick

Default pics

the bow is a single Fusion cam ! It draws smooth but kicks like a mule ! Here is the pics requested ! Thank you all
    Attached Images Attached Images

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wshurick, as far as I can tell that is a 2002 or 03 Jaguar riser. We own Jaguars and the riser is exactly the same. The limbs look to be changed. Heres a link take a look.
    http://www.martinarchery.com/catalog...02_Catalog.pdf

As far as the cam goes it is under rotated. Which means the string is stretched and it looks to need replacing. If you replace the string and cable, you will feel the difference.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's a cast magnesium Jaguar riser. 100% certain.