Thread: D loop or no D loop?

Hybrid View

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default D loop or no D loop?

Who shoots with a d loop?
    Who doesn't?
    I started off in archery, shooting off the string. I did this for a few years. I later found out the benefits of shooting with a d loop. I even tried a metal loop.
    Now I found that the string d loop tied properly is one of the best ways to shoot More accurately.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

SonnyThomas

I do both. My hunting bow and one 3D bow are shot off the string. My target bows are shot with a loop. Personally, if using a thumb, pull through or back tension release then you really need a loop. As for accuracy, I doubt that there is that much of a difference. If anything a loop sure cuts down on center serving wear. And no matter what some think a loop requires the bow's draw length shortened so that the shooter can maintain a proper anchor point. This BS of just drawing the draw arm back farther doesn't get it.
    Some of the Pros tell of their system for loops. They get the draw length of the bow close and then they cut several different lengths of loop material and try each until they get a good solid draw length and anchor point.

RobD

I shoot off a D loop. I Buy 5 ft at a time off Ebay for $5.00 And change it every 3-5 Months. + leave a extra piece in my back pack just in case.
    I'd be scared to use the Metal loop. Can't imagine if the string happened to break. It Probably would split ya pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

For years, I avoided a D loop.

I just didn't want to add that much weight to my string, and have to "shorten" my draw length.

I used to use a James Greene Gator Jaw release, so that I got the center pull on the nock, without the loop.

As I learned more, I realized that the loop doesn't have a damn thing to do with your draw length.

When I stopped trying to cut off my right ear, with my string, and actually set my bow's draw length, to fit me, I realized that a loop really didn't cost you enough honest speed, to outweigh it's benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a d-loop - changing it is easier then reserving the string for me. And i still use the second one i've made for over a year
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the metal D loop years ago. Hated it. Now I use a string loop on all my bows. The only drawback I have seen is if your release has a bit of a rough edge it'll fray the loop material. Easy to fix once seen though. I'll probably shoot a string loop from now on.

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    For years, I avoided a D loop.

I just didn't want to add that much weight to my string, and have to "shorten" my draw length.

I used to use a James Greene Gator Jaw release, so that I got the center pull on the nock, without the loop.

As I learned more, I realized that the loop doesn't have a damn thing to do with your draw length.

When I stopped trying to cut off my right ear, with my string, and actually set my bow's draw length, to fit me, I realized that a loop really didn't cost you enough honest speed, to outweigh it's benefits.
    Thumbs up here, copterdoc. Most people just don't understand that they have a draw length that includes a good anchor point. This never changes unless the shooter changes something within hold or form. They then should adjust the bow's draw length to fit them which includes the *type of release. Most loops can be made so that the bow's draw length only needs reduced half an inch. So 5 fps on average. No big loss.

*I have one bow set up so close to border line that it requires a change (1/2") in it's draw length to accommodate the two bt releases I use. Another bow requires a one inch change in draw length depending on shooting off the string or shooting with a loop.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 12-16-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

D-loop.....