Thread: bow string break in

Unregistered

Default bow string break in

I am new to archery and have been readin alot on line while waiting for my bow to get here. I bought a 2010 saber mag brand new. I read somewhere that you need to break in your strings befor you have your bow setup. My question is how long is the break in period for the strings. Any info would help out alot i really dont want to pay to have my bow setup twice if i dont have to.

Post Thanks / Like

From 20 to 200 shots
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    From 20 to 200 shots
    x2 the peep will rotate if it is not broke in. As soon as they are done fixing this forum. Register and start asking ?s and you shouldn't have to pay anyone to work on your bow.
    HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    from 20 to 200 shots
    x2...

Sl

SonnyThomas

Default bow string break in

I think people don't understand bow setup. Most bows will perform pretty good right from the start if using some common sense, but will need a bit of correcting later on.
    First, the bow came strung and usually with maxed out limbs. So the string is somewhat settled in. BUT then the bow is put in the press and the string split for the peep and then the peep is tied in. This can unsettle a string pretty quick. 5 to 10 shots should be fired to see if the peep aligns. If not, correct the situation. And each time out of the press 5 to 10 shots should take place to ensure corrections were correct. After the peep is assured to align then center shot should be checked, at least height wise. Time and again I see the peep put in last and people don't realize there is a bit of movement from both the peep now splitting the string and the string settling back in. Done with common sense the bow can go out the door and be able to be shot, enjoyed right off the bat. This not to say the bow won't need adjustment a bit later on. And then I've seen bows go out the door and not need anything done to them for long periods of time. I have 2 bows right now that have not have a thing done to them since they were setup a year ago and both are more accurate than I am.

Post Thanks / Like

yea what sonny said.... some just need more tinkering..if its a good string and set up properly to start with...it will out shoot the shooter
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What I can tell you about a break in period. If the string is a property built, it will not have any settle in period. I have built strings that have nothing needed but shoot them.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com