Thread: help,choosing new bow

oil can dan

Default help,choosing new bow

hi guys,
    I am in the market for new bow this year. I have never bought a brand new one before. I am have some trouble deciding which one, I dont have the luxury of shooting all of them. so there are some key factors to consider. 1. I am short. a draw length of 26". 2.I am into long range archery back to 90 and 100 yards. so which bow would give top performance at just 26 inches and 70#. I am thing maybe the crossfire, sense it was designed for short draw performance, but the super short A to A worries me about long range stability than I heard about. Exactly how much does a to a affect kong range shots?
    I wanted to just for a 2010 warthog but they're sold out, so now I am wondering about the alien Z.
    thanx for any input

Post Thanks / Like

I am draw length challenged just like you ( 26.5") so my choices are limited. I am more a target/3D shooter so consdier shootability more important than portability. I don't get bows to carry them around. Therefore the short bows are not for me.

I'm presently shooting an Alien Z. For 2011 I think I'm going to get the Rytera Nemisis. Of all the Martin bows these two would be the ones I'd recommend for the type of shooting you're talking about. And both of them with 1.5 cams.

For another thought, I wonder why you want to shoot long range and obviously expect good accuracy and then want a 70# bow. This draw weight is pretty much overkill even for hunting let alone target shooting. Just give this some more thought.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    For another thought, I wonder why you want to shoot long range and obviously expect good accuracy and then want a 70# bow. This draw weight is pretty much overkill even for hunting let alone target shooting. Just give this some more thought.
    I agree with bfisher. I myself have 70# bow, but I have it set at 60#. Since I hunt, this draw weight allows me to hold it longer, but yet I can shoot 100 yards and not have much of an arc in the arrow flight.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any modern compound (well tuned and with a good sight) can work for such range if the archer is good enough, i think. And the other guys are right - you don't need to draw 70#, even 50 or less can do the job. And i'd add to the list the Firecat.
    Oops, the Firecat won't work for you - it starts from 27", too bad.
    Last edited by alex; 12-22-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of each! Just kidding
    Rytera Nemisis looks like the one for you!
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

oil can dan

thanx for the input guys,
    as far as the 70# draw goes, I was thinking reduced arc. My old cougar is pretty slow, and I get a pretty good arc out of it and it is between 80 and 85# draw. I have not put it on the chrono yet, but after a year of shooting that, I thought 70# sounded a relief. I have shot at any animals yet though, just targets pinned to straw bales. But I love it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just for your education you don't have to shoot heavy poundage to reduce the "arc". There are arrows made light enough today and the bows are much faster to start with that even 50# is plenty for target work and 60# is plenty for hunting. Compared with your old cougar bows today can be real speed demons. Expect speeds about 50 to 75 fps faster (ballpark) than what your old bow is now producing. You just have to shoot these lighter carbon arrows made today. But no matter how fast the bow there is still going to be substantial "arc" when shooting long range. That's why it's called
    "arc---hery"
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver