Thread: Green horn needs some help setting up my bow

Unregistered

Default Green horn needs some help setting up my bow

I am new to archery and recieved a Martin Saber as a gift,
    i initialy tryed to set up the bow my self / set the peep sight / reolaced the stinger rest to a wisker biscuit/ set the nock height acording to the manual that was supplied.
    at 20 yards I could not adjust the sight enough to get the bow to shoot higher / I was hitting the ground instead of the target/ called Martin for some help ( that was interesting as they were no help) they said I should have the bow tuned by a profesional. so thats what I did / 27 inch daraw / pined the peep sight / reset the nock and wisker biscuit, but the bow still shoots low and we ran out of adjustment on the sight at 20 yards,
    called martin again and again they are no help they want me to pay to send the bow back so they can look at it.

any Idea what would cause the bow to shoot low.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I also just started with archery, and when I got my bow, it was my buddies and it was all set. I hit low also. I tried adjusting the sight just like you, and after I shot for a while, I had to start moving the sight again. I think I caught myself rocking my wrist. I have now moved the sight almost back to where I started. I had another friend come over and watch me shoot, to try to make sure it was a form thing and not an equipment thing. If you have anybody that could look at you shooting, or maybe even take a video of yourself. Just a thought. Good luck.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

This is almost always a matter of your anchor being too high. Lower your anchor which will necessitate moving your peep (if you use one) farther up the string. If you are a normally proprtioned person your peep should end up somewhere between 5" and 6" above the nocking point.

Here is some more advice. Log onto and set up an account on www.archerytalk.com. There is a "sticky" at the top of the Tuning section with links to Easton's Tuning Guide. Download the guide and you'll have much of the info you'll ever need concerning basic setups and tuning a bow.

Start all over with setting your rest, nocking point, and such following the guide. It's not difficult too understand and works for all bows. Then see what you get. Take some full length pictures of yourself standing and with an arrow nocked, aiming at a target about shoulder high. Save these to your computer for future needs. Now do a search on AT for "shooting form" and pay particular attention to posts by Nut&Bolts. He is always good and posts lots of pictures for you to compare with your own.

You can also post your own pictures here and we'll be better able to help you. I don't believe for one minute that there is something wrong with the bow to warrant sending it back to the factory at this time.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take this the wrong way,but are you adjusting the site in the right direction?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Barry. I don't believe it is the bow. Most of the people who come to us, have us straighten out the bow they started to set up. We find when we check out the bow the peep sight either too high or too low! The sticky Barry is talking about is excellent! Take a look at it. Mostly anyone here should look at. It helps even if you know how to tune. The tricks of the trade.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

ah yes the peep..... your peep position can totally make your bow "fit" or feel not quite right. if you can stand to shoot without a peep for a while to get a very comfortable anchor point you can get your sights set roughly, and have a freind mark the string where you are "looking through" it. then install your peep at the mark and you should be down to fine tuning. (fine tuning of your sight anyway) your form may take a while but, being setup correctly will go a long way towards helping improve your form...... this coming from me is probably hypoctitical, as im sure my form is terrible, or unortodox at minimum...... lol i should post a picture of my form......~ramble~
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

have to agree..its always the peep/ anchor pt..nothing wrong with that bow. if so you would have found out all ready
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    ah yes the peep..... your peep position can totally make your bow "fit" or feel not quite right. if you can stand to shoot without a peep for a while to get a very comfortable anchor point you can get your sights set roughly, and have a freind mark the string where you are "looking through" it. then install your peep at the mark and you should be down to fine tuning. (fine tuning of your sight anyway) your form may take a while but, being setup correctly will go a long way towards helping improve your form...... this coming from me is probably hypoctitical, as im sure my form is terrible, or unortodox at minimum...... lol i should post a picture of my form......~ramble~
    Rambling is permissible. I do it all the time to say nothing.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver