Thread: Setting up shop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting up shop

So I have been reading these forums for a few months and it sounds like most of the work I would ever need to do, can be done by myself. So today I find out about the Easton tuning guide. Looks like a ton of info. My question is what types of tools or equipment should I have on hand to do most tasks? I already have many allen wrenches, at least the ones that fit my bow, basic hand tools, but what other equipment do I really need to get going. I love the idea of being able to do my own work, but I hate starting something only to find out it would have been easier if I had a certain tool. Thanks for the help.

Dave
    2012 Alien X

SonnyThomas

Default Setting up shop

The most used tools would be a bow press and vice. Some bows will work in any press and some bows require higher grade presses. Apple's Edge Bow Press is the most inexpensive in Lancaster's catalog and can handle just about any bow. I would suggest looking into Apple's web site for all their presses and vices. The shop I work at has Apple on the order of the Super Pro Press, but has a hydraulic jack on each end.
    You're looking at $300 and up.
    Hint: Always back off the limbs to minimum and a lot of possible trouble is eliminated.

A good set of levels for string and arrow is something to have, period. For the arrow, get the one marked in 1/8" increments. A short level 4 to 5" long for leveling the mounting plate of the arrow rest if you wish. Hardware stores have them for a $1.00 sometimes.
    Total, around $20.00

A draw board isn't totally necessary, but nice. We have a "S" hook hanging from the ceiling and a thin, well marked, steel tape measure with ring that slips on the "S" hook with the bow string.

Center shot tool. If for your own bows, save your money. You can eye ball in center shot about as accurate as a laser and then some bows are not laser friendly at all. Eye balling, align the bow string to the groove of the top wheel or cam and adjust the rest so the arrow aligns with them. Okay, this puts you in the ball park.

How deep do you figure to go?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are new to archery and want to maintain your bow yourself - and have a Martin - you dont even need a bow press. It makes it easier and quicker, but is not a requirement. You can back off the limb bolts enough to do anything you will need to do, and on all but a couple models - you can completely disassemble the bow without a press.
    Basic tools to setup, tune and maintain your bow would be: allen wrenches, a bow square (or levels), nock pliers (if you are using brass crimp-on nock sets), a spool of serving thread and serving tool and a weight scale.
    A few basic wrenches and good set of needle-nose pliers and a Bic lighter is about all you really need to start out with. Oh - and a yardstick...
    From there - as Sonny said - it's up to you how far you want to take it.
    A draw board is a great tool (you can build one for $25). A press is a great tool. If you get into this you will be looking at fletching tools, cresting tools, chronographs, spine meters, string jigs, hooter shooters, charts, graphs, etc...
    It is an addiction and lots of people want your money.
    Back to the basics: It is sticks and strings !!
    It really isn't expensive to get the basic things you need.
    If it needs something that is beyond your knowledge: Seek out a good Pro Shop and go be friends with them.
    And always - ask questions here.
    There are lots of people that will lead you in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I am only planning on working on my own for now, which is only the 02 cougar mag. So it sounds like I can save on the press for now. There are plenty of shops around, I just wanted to be able to save a few bucks and I feel that the more you know about the equipment, the better you can become. Plus if something breaks in the field, it would be nice to know how to get it back together.
    2012 Alien X

SonnyThomas

Default Setting up shop

Spiker gave some good insight. If the Cougar is of the standard limb configuration there are some Pocket Boss Presses on the market. Yeah, carry it along with you type presses.

There are also plans floating around for bow vices and draw boards.

Post Thanks / Like

For what you are planning on doing a portable press such as a Bowmaster would work just fine. As mentioned, a set of levels and a decent bow vice come in handy. Maybe a bow square. Somewhere along the way some taps to clean out the threaded holes (10x24, 5/16x24). A couple spools of different size serving (.021 being most common)and a serving tool. You orbably have most of whatever else you'd need.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver