Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ever white tail hunt is over!

Post Thanks / Like

Default First ever white tail hunt is over!

I have never ever been deer hunting in my life, but with my new Bengal shooting so accurately, I had to give it a shot.

I woke up at 3am, load the truck and hit the road. I arrived in Princeton, grab breakfast I headed for Coalmont, where I've seen deer numerous times. The great thing with snow, is you see right away how much recent activities there was. And there wasn't any. On top of that, I didn't even know if the tracks were from a mule deer or a white tail. From comments, articles and all the research I did, I was looking for a funnel where there would be a beaten path. I saw none of that. I did see a lot of individual tracks, but nothing telling me I should concentrate on a specific area. By 9am, I thought I'd try elsewhere.
    And it got bit better!
    One of my fear was to not be able to differentiate muleys from whiteys. I'm glad to say that I passed the test. I saw a doe and it struck me that she had bugs bunny ears. So, I grabbed my camera instead of my bow.

I thought about shooting her, go to the hardware store, pick some spay paint to do a bit of touch up here and there, then with a pair of scissors, trim the ears a bit.

In all I saw 8 mule doe, 7 of them well within my range of shooting.

This was a group of 4.

I spent the rest of the day scouting, but nothing to entice to do more. I did finally find a well beaten path. The problem, it was on private land.

Minutes later, a herd of elk was grazing up the hill. I'll post the pictures later.

I finished at 5:11, but really, I was done 1/2 hour before as the visibility was none existent.

Can't wait for next year!
    Last edited by Stéphane; 12-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the elk.

Last edited by Stéphane; 12-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures. Good luck the next season!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

No shots and no deer on the ground. Still, it sounds and looks like a very succesful ay of hunting to me. Nice pictures.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures,still a successful hunt to see that much game
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing like being that close to wildlife(even when you are planning to shoot at them LOL). Very nice pics.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very glad for you and your hunting experience. I am sure this won't be your last hunt. Nice pics. It is nice to have good equipment too! Good job!
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, and yes, it was a beautiful day of learning. There was even a time when I got stuck in the snow with my Rav4 about 30km away from the road. Note to self, don't venture beyond your means without shovel and/or chain.

Next year, I intend to get a doe tag for mule deer and go right back there. Unfortunately, being a teacher, I can't go for more than a weekend at the time.

Yesterday, I went goose hunting ,and I missed one by very little. What I didn't know at the time was that they allowed me to get closer than I thought. My first 3 arrows were just too far. Not quite an expert yet at guessing the range. My lowest pin was set at 30 yards. I think they were 100' away.

I did get lucky earlier this year with my old bow.

My first ever kill with a bow: ptarmigan

A ruffed grouse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post

Next year, I intend to get a doe tag for mule deer and go right back there. Unfortunately, being a teacher, I can't go for more than a weekend at the time.

Yesterday, I went goose hunting ,and I missed one by very little. Not quite an expert yet at guessing the range. My lowest pin was set at 30 yards. I think they were 100' away.
    Well, if they where 100' away and you used your 30 yd pin, you where off by 3 yds, that's pretty close for 'eyeballin' or guesstimating. For next year, pick up that elk tag as well as that doe tag, from the pics you posted , you where in the right area. What do the BC game laws say about feeding deer or elk? Here In Kalifornia, I'm not allowed to feed game animals. But my son ( Elkslayer ) up in Oregon is allowed to feed them. Deer love alfalfa, and can smell it miles away, but they do require a bit of 'training' to know where to expect to find it. Since you can go only on week-ends, leave plenty on Sunday evening, come back next Friday evening and put more out, Saturday morning, you'll see lots of deer, expecially when its cold, they eat to stay warm. Good luck and I hope you tag at least one of each.
    And now I have to tease you a little, as a teacher, you do know that the plural of elk is elk and not elks, just like moose are'nt meese. LOL Even though more than one goose are geese.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Well, if they where 100' away and you used your 30 yd pin, you where off by 3 yds, that's pretty close for 'eyeballin' or guesstimating. For next year, pick up that elk tag as well as that doe tag, from the pics you posted , you where in the right area. What do the BC game laws say about feeding deer or elk? Here In Kalifornia, I'm not allowed to feed game animals. But my son ( Elkslayer ) up in Oregon is allowed to feed them. Deer love alfalfa, and can smell it miles away, but they do require a bit of 'training' to know where to expect to find it. Since you can go only on week-ends, leave plenty on Sunday evening, come back next Friday evening and put more out, Saturday morning, you'll see lots of deer, expecially when its cold, they eat to stay warm. Good luck and I hope you tag at least one of each.
    And now I have to tease you a little, as a teacher, you do know that the plural of elk is elk and not elks, just like moose are'nt meese. LOL Even though more than one goose are geese.
    I'll check the regulations to see if the doe (elk) are off limit or not. I know we can't bait them. But really, there's plenty of game here, so if I scout properly prior to the fall, I should be fine.

As for the English lesson, thanks. I was wondering about that, but since it passed the spell check on my browser, I thought it was right. To my defense, I teach French Immersion.