Thread: older Martin Compound cam slots, again

jahiatt

Default older Martin Compound cam slots, again

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...7slots0011.jpg

The wheels have slots, hey, I finally looked closer.
    3 slots
    The cable is thru the first slot closer to the string side and the wheel rotates clockwise when drawn.
    I dont know if this slot is longest or shortest draw and the slots are not marked in any way.
    Is there a trick to changing the cable without a press?
    I need my draw about 3/4 longer.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, that's a lot better. Don't feel bad about not knowing whether the cables are in the longest or shortest setting. I had lots of these types and still haven't got it down 100%. Maybe I'm getting senile.

Anyway, I think yours is set in the shortest setting so you're in luck. All you need to do is move the cables to the next (middle) slot on the wheel. Each one will give you 1/2" and must be done together so moving the cable so will give you 1" more. Just about what you're looking for.

I don't know for sure about older Martin bows, but present ones can have the limb bolts backed out about 11 turns which usually puts enough slack in the system to make such adjustments or even tear the bow down completely.
    You can start by backing out each bolt about 6 turns. Then go 1 turn each till enough tension is released to roll the string off the wheel.

If you have access to a bow press this would take about 2 minutes. Doing it by hand would take all of 5 minutes. Just take your time. It's a pretty simple operation.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Move it to the next slot - this should make the DL an inch longer i believe. The modern Martin compounds don't require a bowpress, but i don't know about the old ones. My advice is to visit a bow pro-shop.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Barry, you were a minute ahead of me
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the pics also and agree that it is set in the shortest position.
    However - I dont think that you can back off the limb bolts enough to change it. I think you will need a bow press.
    I could be wrong, but I have an early '90's bow with the same wheels and backing off the bolts wont give you enough slack to do that safely.
    Your best bet is to take it to a pro shop and have them set it up for you.
    Even a box store archery dept. should be willing to press it and set the draw length for you at a minimal cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Hey, Barry, you were a minute ahead of me
    Two minutes to be precise..........but who's counting?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Two minutes to be precise..........but who's counting?
    You're like a Swiss watch! I've tried to steal a minute but was caught immediately.