Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: . . .and I'm shooting 50 yards

Post Thanks / Like

Default . . .and I'm shooting 50 yards

I just began shooting 50 yards this weekend trying to tame that distance. It's not bad. With my old bow (finger shooting) I was glad to hit the 4X4 and not wreck an arrow.

Sorry, I didn't take any picture, but as awful as my first group was, the last one one wasn't that bad. I had 3 of the 7 arrows with 4" while the rest were scattered bit. I have to be more diligent with my "list" : thumb to earlobe, elbow high, relax grip (X2) trigger.

From you guys who regularly shoot at longer distance, is there a feel to it too? Because really, 1 mm off and the error is multiplied several time by the time it hits the target. The reason I'm talking about a feel, is because I think my sighting of the target is never perfect at that distance.

Post Thanks / Like

With my old Firecat, I was able to shoot 2 1/2 inch groups at 60 yards. The biggest factor for me was getting the draw length dialed in perfectly. Hard to believe how a 1/8th or 1/4 inch length adjustment can really steady up your shot. My only advice would be, if you are having problems keeping on target, don't be afraid to play with the draw length just a bit. There's a "sweet spot" in there for everyone, and it makes a world of difference. Small changes can make big differences. Also, keep in mind that noone can hold a pin on a target dot without some movement. Keeping that movement tight and close to the dot is the key. Especially at longer ranges.

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried focusing on the sight pin? that can help.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    have you tried focusing on the sight pin? that can help.
    Just the oppisite for me, if I concentrate on the pin, it soon is all over the target, guess I shot instintive for too long. Pick a spot on your target, and concentrate on that spot, you'll see less pin bounce. Put all thought of past shots out of your mind, relax, keep your attention on where you want your arrow.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Just the oppisite for me, if I concentrate on the pin, it soon is all over the target, guess I shot instintive for too long. Pick a spot on your target, and concentrate on that spot, you'll see less pin bounce. Put all thought of past shots out of your mind, relax, keep your attention on where you want your arrow.
    Me, too. I concetrate on the target. 30+ years ago my coach taught me that the best way to hit anything (target) is to concentrate on it. I even learned, in time, that my sight pin didn't have to be on the bullseye to hit the bullseye. I just had to be concentrating on it and that's where the arrow would hit.

EHunter explained something very well. Many times it's all about draw length. We can talk all we want about using good repeatable form, and this is paramount, but good repeatable form can only be achieved if the bow's draw length is adjusted down to at least the best 1/4". And, Oh yeah, maybe even the last little 1/8" if you desire to be that picky.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I will add to the above..with dont push your self to far...as 4x5 says put the last shot outa your mind ...if you try to shoot to far for too long its very hard to do while making poor shots...keep in your comfort zone then step back...soon as you waver ( stray shots off your mark) step back up.
    keep your eye on the prize..stare at your target with intent to kill it...some guy taught me this 40 some years ago...alowed me to make 100 yard shots with only a 60yard pin...3D targets only shoot instictive still to this day..(recurve) been a few years but used to do it with a compound to keep at it sir it will come around for you..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

im curious about not focusing on your pin. when shooting rifles/pistols focusing on the front sight is paramount to good accuracy at range. i figured this would carry over to archery as well. aparently im wrong. but i was shooting 2x2s at 50 yards pretty consistantly shooting a too-long-of-a-draw. is there a official correct way to make your sight picture, as far as focal point?
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with keep your eye on the target. Once the pin in on the spot (target), The pin should dissapear and the spot (target) is the focus point. When I shoot it ends up target and trigger, as the focus points. That way I am less apt to be move, and more apt to focus on the two important moves. Form should be habit, if not practice, practice, practice.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I shoot my best - I dont even really know where the pin was at.
    All I see is the X.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a day of rest today, went shopping to the USA to find out that all the Joe's Outdoor are out of business?!?!?

So, tomorrow, back to the range and I'll try to get my focus better. Won't linger too long on the 50 yards, but will try it before I get fatigued.

I'm trying to get ready for a 3d shoot that happens next month in my town, Abbotsford, BC. We do have a 3d course, but it's only open on weekend. I think the longest one is 30ish yards. At that distance, I'm doing ok.

Learning something new every time I come to this site.