Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: . . .and I'm shooting 50 yards

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun Stéphane. I am sure you'll do fine, enjoy!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

correct!!! and take anything i say with a grain of salt at best!!! im sure the rest of the guys know much more than i do!!!! i havent been shooting long, and i learn something everyday too!!!
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

SonnyThomas

Default . . .and I'm shooting 50 yards

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    when shooting rifles/pistols focusing on the front sight is paramount to good accuracy at range. is there a official correct way to make your sight picture, as far as focal point?
    I, too, focused on the front sight when shooting handguns with iron sights. Breathing controlled and the sights moving in the same direction each and every time I was able to set some club records, up close anyway.

For years I use to stack my pin, make a figure 8 of the pin and the wanted point of impact. Now, putting the pin in the center and letting it float is the said manner of shooting spots. Well, one of the better spot archers says he lets the pin ride in the bottom of the spot. I tried this today. I did not reset my sight pin, just shot it as is. I must say I did put a lot arrows where the pin was.

Post Thanks / Like

but what do you focus on sonny? the pin or the target?
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

SonnyThomas

I'm a bit different for aiming or focusing. I am left handed and left eye dominent and shoot right handed. For 3D I make a picture and the pin is part of the picture. I put the pin where I want it and when comes to a stand still the shot just goes off. I can't explain it any other way.

I dislike spots, mainly because I have to practice, practice and practice in order to just stay fairly good. Not good to win, not good to just automatically shoot a 300 on a 5 spot. Probably working against me is having to stand there and shoot 60 arrows and nothing to really gain - Okay, desire is lacking. I've used putting the pin under the bull's eye. I've used the said pin in the middle and let it float. I've used a index, thumb and back tension release, used bows of 40 to 67 pounds, used different draw lengths and regardless my scores stay in the 290s with a every so often 300. Indoors, my eyes, my age, I don't know if I can improve, but I keep trying. The dreaded Vegas is just that, dreaded.

When at my best in Field I stacked the pin under the bull's eye to make a figure 8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I'm a bit different for aiming or focusing. I am left handed and left eye dominent and shoot right handed.
    I'm like that too. I was going to buy a LH bow, but because I shattered my humerus in a motorcycle accident years ago, I just can't shoot properly with a LH bow.

I'll try you trick today at the range.

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep at it .. try what works for you..some guys come down on to target while others come up from bottom once pin settles shot goes off... as sonny said fig8 style. i have gotten it to a freeze habit. while shooting my compound. draw my bow get settled bring pin up to target from bottom and soon as it looks like 8 it stops moving..no float ,its rock solid
    have to will it on to spot... yes i know i can just re set sight but thats a band aid for a cut that needs stiches... to fix it I just come from top down after a while im ok again. Picking up my recurve is better fix..has no sights
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't going to read this thread today. Glad I did. And here I thought I was the only one with a case of target panic----and old age.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

bfisher definition; oldest teenager in here.

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    Just keep at it .. try what works for you..some guys come down on to target while others come up from bottom once pin settles shot goes off... as sonny said fig8 style.
    Elk has pointed out something. It is far easier to come down on a target than go up. If sighted in low, full draw and all, your muscles are tense and hard to make things go up.

Then, people want to see the X or center of the target and get the jitters/shakes trying to make the pin settle in the center or and freeze low.

Again, some do things to get the best of both as I replied prior to this. Let the pin floating in the bottom of the bull's eye. You have the in the bottom to gage and can see the center of the target. Won't work for 3D though unless you have Superman's eyes and can see the 10, 12 or 14 rings.