Thread: Measuring Brace Height

Post Thanks / Like

Default Measuring Brace Height

I've always understood that the measurement for the brace height was from the deepest part of the grip to the bow string.
    The axle to axle is measured from the center of the cam axle to the center of the opposite cam axle.
    My Shadowcat measures about 1/8 inch long on the axle to axle which is listed as 41.25 in the current catalog. The brace height measures 7 and 3/8 inches from the deepest part of the grip and the catalog lists the brace height as 7.75 inches.

First question regarding the axle to axle, is the 1/8 inch enough to be concerned with?

Second question regarding the brace height, is the 3/8 inch difference enough to be concerned with?

If the answers are yes to these questions, do I address the axle to axle by twisting the string or the cables? I guess the same would apply to the brace height; string or cables.

While I am an old geezer, my experience is very limited so I have to post these questions. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me see...

1/8" would translate into around 0.32". In 2010 the ShadowCat should have an approx ATA of 41.5 so your 1/8" does fit. Better have a slightly longer ATA than a slightly shorter one.

You could adjust your ATA by twisting stirng AND cables. Keep in mind to twist both as the Cam timing would change if you twist only one of those. In my mind 1/8" is nothing to worry about.

I wont worry about that 3/8" BH either. I never care about the BH on my bows as the BH is in a close relation to the Cam rotation. A slight different rotated Cam will produce a different BH. So twisting string OR cables will change your BH. But then this will change Cam timing, draw length and overall efficiency of the bow.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

SonnyThomas

Default Measuring Brace Height

Both 2010 Shadowcat I've worked with had exact speces, 41 1/2" ata and 7 1/2", but checked long for draw length. (Still emailing with Martin over this and may get results - hopefully - after the archery show - starts this week sometime.
    Rotation of the cams will effect bh. One full untwist of both cables should get you real, real close for ata and real close on for bh. Don't mess with the bow string.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Both 2010 Shadowcat I've worked with had exact speces, 41 1/2" ata and 7 1/2", but checked long for draw length. (Still emailing with Martin over this and may get results - hopefully - after the archery show - starts this week sometime.
    Rotation of the cams will effect bh. One full untwist of both cables should get you real, real close for ata and real close on for bh. Don't mess with the bow string.
    One twist is not enough to change 1/8 ATA. And if you untwist your cables you will get a longer ATA, not a shorter one. Oh, and cam rotation and draw length will be influenced.

I'd say:
    If you are feeling good with it: Do not change a bit.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, I'll be working the show this week so, do you want me to ask Laura about that draw problem?
    (btw, I'll just be standing outside the door keeping the gate crashers out. They will need "those stinking badges"...)