Thread: Stripped set screws. How to remove?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stripped set screws. How to remove?

The head on theset screw that holds the string stop on my Shadowcat is stripped. Any tips on getting it out short of drilling? I have the same problem with the cable slide rod. I don't need the clearance that I currently have with the way its set. I also thought that if I could adjust it to reduce the amount that the cables are pulled I would also reduce the any torque induced cam lean. Maybe this is what I get for buying a used bow, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the thread on the screw stripped, or has the head been rounded out? If the head it rounded out, sometimes you can use a bit of steel wool pushed into the head with a slightly smaller allen head.
    2012 Alien X

SonnyThomas

Dang!!! Well, chit! Head stripped out, I hope. Try some penitrating oil on threads on the nut side and let set for a bit. Then try the fine steel wool in the Allen hole with the right Allen wrench. May have to work in or press in. Use care. Don't need you hurtin' yourself or the cam. Of course if you hurt yourself I can tell bhtr3d, 3rdplace, and Rob what happened.

If that doesn't work get hold of Martin at the trade show. Surely they have some way to get the sucker straightened out.

P.S. Send pic of you and Laura. Or just Laura will be fine. How'd you get to be a Gate Captain at the trade show?
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 01-06-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

well, i ain't exactly a captain...more like a buck private. ata has an agreement with the indiana bowhunters association whereby they pay iba to provide some extra "security" and "go fers". the iba then donates those funds to NASP in indiana or some other archery related programs.

that allen headed set screw is what's wollered out. so i'll try the steel wool trick. i will mention to laura that you asked about her...if we have time for such trivial talk...

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,
    Thanks for catching my mistake. Used the smaller allen wrench to push the steel wool in, then use the correct size, to try to turn it out.
    2012 Alien X

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    i will mention to laura that you asked about her...if we have time for such trivial talk...
    HAVE TIME FOR TRIVIAL TALK?!!! TRIVIAL?!!! With Laura? You take your meds today or too much of them? Trivial talk with Laura? I gotta go check my blood pressure and sugar reading.