Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Default firecat 400

Bought a new firecat 400 12/31/10 shot the bow the next day and when was done noticed that the cams was damaging the cables.. Martin is sending new ones to replace just wondered if anybody else was having this prob?? Also draw lenght is 27" pulling 70# arrow weight 368gr any idea what speed this should be shooting at worst?? By the way really like the bow shoots great more accurate for me than the hoyt i traded off..

Post Thanks / Like

Sway, there was a little burr on the end of the cable groove on some of the new cams. Mine had it also. Just a few minutes with a small file, and the problem was solved. You should take a close look, and make sure it didn't cut your serving, or fray it out. If it did, let Martin know. Hope you get it fixed up soon! My guess, and this is just a guess, your arrow should be hitting around 290ish if everything is timed and in tune.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 01-08-2011 at 03:59 AM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a tissue and wipe it around the cam lightly. It will leave some of the fiber of the tissue on the cam, this will show where all the burrs are. I use to do this in the bicycle business. I would go around the rim of the wheel to find burrs of the wheels that had constant flats. Also check the modules my sons had a very sharp edge.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

ehunter, thanks i took it back to bow shop i bought it and he has martin sending new cams and cables but ur correct on the burr he found the burrs..
    As far as speed thats what i was thinking around 290-295. On most bows i pull 27.5 to 28 but found that the firecat seems longer than most guess its the grip maybe with the next so deep???? shot 27.5 on hoyt and 28 on the new mathews but 27 just feels better on the firecat

Post Thanks / Like

The shape of the grip has nothing to do with the draw length. It just might be you have one that isn't set up right from the factory and is ndeed drawing long. It doesn't really matter much. You just have to set up the bow so it feels right for you and measure the actual draw length at that module setting and remember it.

As for the cables getting frayed? Are you sure it's the cam and not just the modules. On mine I found that the module groove has a sharp edge on the side butting up against the cam which tends to cut the serving. As mentioned, a little time with a fine toothed file and 400 grit sandpaper takes care of the problem.

When you get the replacement parts you ight find the same thing happening. Pay particular attention to this area when you start shooting it again. Keep an eye on the cable serving and don't let it get frayed before you remedy the situation. Just replacing cables again is not a "fix".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, the first batch of Nitro cams Martin made did have a burr problem on the cam itself. Right at the bottom of the cable groove leading to the attachment peg. I have heard they got this corrected quicly, but there will be a few that run into the problem. Mine cut through the serving before I noticed it, but nothing a little super glue wouldn't fix. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    ehunter, thanks i took it back to bow shop i bought it and he has martin sending new cams and cables but ur correct on the burr he found the burrs..
    As far as speed thats what i was thinking around 290-295. On most bows i pull 27.5 to 28 but found that the firecat seems longer than most guess its the grip maybe with the next so deep???? shot 27.5 on hoyt and 28 on the new mathews but 27 just feels better on the firecat
    When you take the bow back to have the cams replaced, have the shop tech measure the string. I just got my 2nd Firecat 400 in the shop on friday and the string was 3/8" long. Everthing on the 1st one in was to exact specs, don't know why this one was so long. Most of the Martins/ Ryteras with Hybrix or Nitro cams run spot on to 1/4" long on the draw length with the stops set at 80%, if the string/cables are set to spec.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

thanks archer ill have that checked.. If the string is long would that be the same as shooting a longer draw length per say????

Post Thanks / Like

thanks archer ill have that checked.. If the string is long would that be the same as shooting a longer draw length per say????
    The draw lengths will be long at each setting if the string is too long or the cables are too short, or if the draw stop is moved too far.

The draw stop should be set to stop the cam rotation just as the cables come to rest on the flat part of the mods. If the stop is set too short, you won't have much of a valley. If set too long, you will have a very large valley but risk damage to the cables as they roll over the end of the mods.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

In short? Yes.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver