Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual or Single cam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Sonny hit on this one. Those who have had rpoblems with dual cams going out of sync may have a sour note in their craw, but with today's better string material and construction most of these problems have been resolved.

If you get one with the Nitro or Cat cams it may not be sycned correctly from the factory, but it's not hard to make adjustments to fix the problem. Once done it should be pretty much foolproof.

Mentioned above is about the speed difference and I'd like to elaborate on that. The Cat cam is a harder drawing cam than the Accutrac----at a given draw weight. Where the big difference is though is that the FCat 400 will get the same speed as the FCat 360 at about 7-8# less draw weight which in effect makes it feel almost as easy as the AccuTrac cam. And I don't care who you are or how big and strong you are you still have to roll the cam over and 70# is 70# if that is what you draw.

If you shoot something like 70#, for instance, and can still handle the Nitro cam at 70# then you'll see about 20 fps speed increase by shooting the Nitro cam as compared to the Accutrac. I'm just using 70# as an example. The speed differene would be the same at any given weight so long as the same arrow is being used.

Seriously, a 2hr drive might seem like a lot, but I would still advise shooting both bows, set up for your draw, and see which you like. I would say to set them both up so they chronograph the same and see how much difference you notice in the draw cycle. Just don't overbow ourself for the sake of speed. Make it comfortable on yourself.
    Well thats the problem,I can't shoot both,he has to bring it in for me.
    I would love to be able shoot both.I would like to get a Dual,I was just worried about keeping the cams in sync,seen alot of articles of people
    going crazy trying to get them to tune.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Thks for everybody input,it is valuable.As of right now I think it will be the Firecat 400
    Come on March.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Let me put it another way then. I syarted out shooting compounds 38 years ago. Back in those days bows had stell cables so there was very little problem with "wheels" going out of sync.

Sometime in the 80's the transistion came along to fastflight materials and the problems started. Although fastflight did creep the real problem was the lack of quality of string/cable making in those days. Neither were prestretched and served under extreme tension. Therefore they did creep and being hand made no two were the same so they crept at different rates.

Along came the single cam bow which was supposed to be the god's end of all these problems. It did take care of cam sync problems, but people didn't realize that strings still crept and single cams could go out of time, which changed the tune of the bow.

So all during this time string materials and string making have improved to a point that either cam system has little problems these days if quality strings are put on the bow in the first place. Some companies still cut corners when it comes to strings.

I shot dual cam bows up until 1998 when I got my first solo cam bow. Finding just as many problems with the strings the bows' tune kept changing so it was with great pleasure that I wnet back to a dual cam system when I joined Martin in 2004. I can honestly say that I can't remember any of my dual cam Martins going out of sync to a point that required more than a twist or two in a cable to correct them, and haven't had any bow with the Double Helix Elite (Stone Mountain) string change to date.

I used to replace the OE strings right from the start, but have been shooting factory offerings on the Pro Shop series bows just to see how good they are so that I can answer questions like this. Besides, I'm cheap.

The strings on the 2011 Pro series bows are supposedly even better so I would not let this deter me from getting a dual or binary cammed bow.

Hope this helps you with your decision.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Great info.I have 3 single cams and I think it is time to try something different.Not like I need the speed at my stand,but I never really thought about being able to turn down the dual cam to lower draw weight and be as fast as a high lb draw on a single

Thks again

SL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    I never really thought about being able to turn down the dual cam to lower draw weight and be as fast as a high lb draw on a single

Thks again

SL
    Just think of how good that will feel.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Just think of how good that will feel.

Hutch
    LOL ,yup my shoulders are liking this.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Wish they had a better view of the camo pattern,I wanna get a good look at the Bonz pattern,but it is tooo small.Thinking of taking a trip down into Maine in the spring,suppose to be a achery shop there that carries the Martin line,so I might be able to get my hands on one first.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X