Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polaris754 View Post
    hey archer thanks for the info great news for sure , cant wait to get my hands on a 0 11 model , do you know what new model is the replacement for the bengal ?
    The Ridge Hunter is the replacement for the Bengal. The Silencer uses the same riser as the Ridge Hunter but uses the Nitro cams.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    The grip on the Exile IMO feels much better than the Cheetah, the difference in the strings between the two is night and day. I like the look of the Exile much more than the Cheetah also, so unless the discount was pretty extreme, I would take the Exile myself, but thats just my opinion.
    Exactly what I wanted, your opinion. Thanks! What makes the strings so much better?

I know this might be a bit of a touchy subject, but what in your opinion would be a pretty extreme discount on a 2010 Cheetah? If you prefer, send me a PM.

I'm looking into some Martins and other brands so I am trying to ask as many questions as possible before laying down the cash. I noticed that Martin really bumps the price to get a Nitro cam bow yet he Accu cams seem very reasonable.

I shot my brother-in-law's BT Assassin tonight and really liked it (even though the the DL was about 3" too long for me). Do you know how a Exile would compare to it? I know it's not quite as fast but I was thinking of sound, vibration and shock.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 01-14-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Exactly what I wanted, your opinion. Thanks! What makes the strings so much better?

I know this might be a bit of a touchy subject, but what in your opinion would be a pretty extreme discount on a 2010 Cheetah? If you prefer, send me a PM.

I'm looking into some Martins and other brands so I am trying to ask as many questions as possible before laying down the cash. I noticed that Martin really bumps the price to get a Nitro cam bow yet he Accu cams seem very reasonable.

I shot my brother-in-law's BT Assassin tonight and really liked it (even though the the DL was about 3" too long for me). Do you know how a Exile would compare to it? I know it's not quite as fast but I was thinking of sound, vibration and shock.
    I'll try to answer some of these the best I can here and the others via pm.
    The strings... the Hammerhead strings are a true 2 bundle prestretched balanced string made with BCY Trophy and served under tension...these are as close to a high end custom as you'll get, very stable and consistant. The stock strings on the Cheetah are a single bundle string that has no true center and are a BCY 8125 material, lots of opinions on this material, some good and some not so good. PSE and Athens use 8125 for their string and 452X for their cables, with the general consensus being that 8125 is faster...however, I just built a set of full 452X strings for a customer's Ibex and he picked up 6fps over the factory strings. Trophy is 452X with Gore fibers added to improve wear and reduce fuzzing.

I have had varying results with the 2010 strings, some bows we got good results with tubeless peeps and others, no matter what we did we ended up with constant peep rotation and had to install a tube peep for the customer. It got to the point last year we offered our own custom strings to them at 1/2 off with the purchase of a new Gold series bow. We sold a lot of strings with bow purchases last year.

More to come later.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Archerx7, I'm looking forward to the rest.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 01-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post

Bows are much the same as cars and motorcycles........you are going to pay for performance. You also have to look at the standard features each bow offers, the Exile and Silencer have the same TRG and that is where the similarities end, the Exile uses the old style VEM's, it has no SOS, but it can be added on as an option, it has no place for a rear mount sts. The Exile is a very basic hunting bow much the same as the Cheetah was.

There is a small amount of vibration and noise at the shot, most if not all would be gone with the addition of the SOS or an aftermarket rear mount sts and some string and limb dampners.

The only current offering from Bowtech that I've shot is a Soldier that came in for new strings. It had less vibration and noise at the shot, but it was also equipped with an sts, limb savers, string jax and s-coil stabilizer. The draw cycle was typical binary, loads up at the front end and stays there through the cycle with a nice transition to the valley and a less then solid wall, but the Soldier uses cable stops instead of limb stops so I didn't expect a rock solid wall either. I would expect the Exile to feel similar to this bow at the shot.....if it had all the accessories added to it. the limb, string dampners,sts,stabilizer, etc....

Advantage Custom Strings

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to answer some of these the best I can here and the others via pm.
    The strings... the Hammerhead strings are a true 2 bundle prestretched balanced string made with BCY Trophy and served under tension...these are as close to a high end custom as you'll get, very stable and consistant. The stock strings on the Cheetah are a single bundle string that has no true center and are a BCY 8125 material, lots of opinions on this material, some good and some not so good. PSE and Athens use 8125 for their string and 452X for their cables, with the general consensus being that 8125 is faster...however, I just built a set of full 452X strings for a customer's Ibex and he picked up 6fps over the factory strings. Trophy is 452X with Gore fibers added to improve wear and reduce fuzzing.

I have had varying results with the 2010 strings, some bows we got good results with tubeless peeps and others, no matter what we did we ended up with constant peep rotation and had to install a tube peep for the customer. It got to the point last year we offered our own custom strings to them at 1/2 off with the purchase of a new Gold series bow. We sold a lot of strings with bow purchases last year.

More to come later.
    Don't blame you for changing out the strings on 2010's. The minute I got my 2010 Bengal I shot it and custom built me a string. I couldn't deal with the fact that it was so unstable.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Don't blame you for changing out the strings on 2010's. The minute I got my 2010 Bengal I shot it and custom built me a string. I couldn't deal with the fact that it was so unstable.

HUTCH
    Hutch, The thing that was strange is i got some that the peep would be stable and straight from the 1st shot and others that wouldn't stabilize after 100's of shots......... i got pretty much the same story from a couple other shops also.

Advantage Custom Strings

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hutch, The thing that was strange is i got some that the peep would be stable and straight from the 1st shot and others that wouldn't stabilize after 100's of shots......... i got pretty much the same story from a couple other shops also.
    My Bengal shot ten shots and the peep would just spin. I looked at the material on the string and just decided to build one. The odd thing was when I measured it, the string was short. Don't get it but not to worry now. I have an 8125 on it now and no complaints.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bows are much the same as cars and motorcycles........you are going to pay for performance. You also have to look at the standard features each bow offers, the Exile and Silencer have the same TRG and that is where the similarities end, the Exile uses the old style VEM's, it has no SOS, but it can be added on as an option, it has no place for a rear mount sts. The Exile is a very basic hunting bow much the same as the Cheetah was.

There is a small amount of vibration and noise at the shot, most if not all would be gone with the addition of the SOS or an aftermarket rear mount sts and some string and limb dampners.

The only current offering from Bowtech that I've shot is a Soldier that came in for new strings. It had less vibration and noise at the shot, but it was also equipped with an sts, limb savers, string jax and s-coil stabilizer. The draw cycle was typical binary, loads up at the front end and stays there through the cycle with a nice transition to the valley and a less then solid wall, but the Soldier uses cable stops instead of limb stops so I didn't expect a rock solid wall either. I would expect the Exile to feel similar to this bow at the shot.....if it had all the accessories added to it. the limb, string dampners,sts,stabilizer, etc....

Thanks again.

The Soldier is probably better compared to the Leopard, a wide range of adjustments for the growing youth. It does have enough adjustability and power to be used by an adult too.

I haven't owned a bow in 30+ years so I have a lot of catching up to do. I want to go out whitetail hunting with my son and possibly try a 3D shoot. I "think" I would be best off with a short A2A bow since I will be primarily using ground blinds (and if he has his way stalk and shoot). Tree stands, maybe? Most of our hunting will be on public land so I need to pack in and out each day if I don't want anything stolen.

That said, I was looking at the Exile first because of it's size (didn't even know it was the cheapest Martin). My local dealer (the only shop within 60 miles) only sells Martin and wants to up sell me to something in the pro line. That is fine with me if there actually is a true value added to doing so.

Another thing is the DL. I measure 27" and change by him and he wants me to have a bow that goes to 25.5" DL which takes out over half the bows. I'd like a speed bow but it seems I'm pretty limited by DL unless he asks Martin to put the Nitro 1.5 cams on instead of the Nitro 2.0s. I'm not sure I want to do that since it's special order, but it would be a possibility.

To the dealers. What bow is the best bang for the buck in the Martin line that fits what I think I need?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

The Crossfire with Nitro 1.5 cams is a standard offering in the Pro series line and the DL range is 25-28" with an axle to axle length of 30.5" and like all the Martins it has a 15# DW adjustment. It is built on the same riser as the Exile and Leopard, just has the Nitro cams and the SOS is standard. I really like the 1.5 cams myself, they seem to have a bit smoother draw cycle than the 2.0 cams but are faster than the Acu-Trak. From what you stated in your last post, this sounds like what you are looking for.

Advantage Custom Strings