Thread: Restringing and Recamming 1997 Fury

Bow66

Default Restringing and Recamming 1997 Fury

Hello, I'm new here and new to compounds, having shot recurves for decades. Due to declining health (old age), and wanting to continue elk hunting, I just bought an old Fury XRG. But the draw length is too short (28") and limbs are too heavy so have been able to find other cams from AT classified, and plan to modify the bow with cams and longer strings. I have been reading on AT and here, and plan to put #5 fury cams on bow for my 31" DL, and further plan to lengthen the cables and string to reduce draw weight.

The present limbs with #2 or 3 (haven't gotten bow yet to check) cams are 70# and figured by adding equal length to cables and string would lessen limb preload. My question is how much longer than standard specs would be required to lessen weight about 10#?

If I remember what I read on the old charts, the string spec for the XRG #5 cams is 62" string and 43" cables. If both are lengthened by 1" say, would that keep cams rotated correctly and give a drop in weight of 10# or ??

Would appreciate input from anyone with experience in lengthening the string and cable on a similar fury-cammed bow, and the proper amount of lengthening to achieve my goal. Also appreciate input on problems might encounter. I figure that will decrease BH a bit but don't know how much or if is significant.

Thanks, Ron

Post Thanks / Like

You can increase the ATA slightly, to reduce draw weight, but 10# is too much.

What are the deflection numbers on your current limbs? (4L, 4M, 4H, 5L, 5M, 5H......etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bow66 View Post
    The present limbs with #2 or 3 (haven't gotten bow yet to check) cams are 70#...
    According to the limb charts, http://www.martinarchery.com/2011/ch..._cam-limb.html

9M limbs will max at 70# with #2 (28") Fury cams, but will only max at 65#, with #5 (31") cams.

You can back the limbs out 15#, so with the #5 cams, you would have a DW range of 50# to 65#.

Is that low enough?

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can dig up, your ATA should be 42.25".

Your cable length is 43", and string with the #5 Fury cam is 62".
    Last edited by copterdoc; 01-10-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Bow66

Default copterdoc

Copterdoc,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I believe the fellow said the limbs were 9 or 10, can't quite remember. Bow is in shipment, and will check when arrives later this week. On your point about getting the bow down to 50# with backed out limbs, I would prefer to shoot with them mostly turned in if I could, just from reading on the forums. I personally don't have experience to say. My bow weight goal with my bad shoulders is 50-55# maximum.

From the 62" string and 43" cable length, what would feel was the maximum lengthening one could do for the string and cables? I assume something less than 1" originally had thought about. Lastly am I right in planning to lengthen equal amounts to string and cables.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

You really, seriously, don't want to increase the ATA on that bow.

I am pretty sure it will have a 6" brace height even at the factory spec ATA of 42.25".

That's already way too short for a hunter with a 31" DL.

You really need to find a bow with a BH higher than 7.5". In fact, I wouldn't go less than 8".

If you are dead set on keeping the bow, and want it to max at 55#, you need to drop down two full deflection numbers.

If the bow has 9M limbs, you need to replace them with 7M.

Post Thanks / Like

That Razor-X you posted about that wisecane is selling on AT, would be perfect for you.

Fast, forgiving, and a shoot-through with Nitrous-X B cams. It's the bow you will be happiest with.

Bow66

Copterdoc, thank you again for your input. I did plan on maintaining the BH around 5 3/4", since the specs for the 1997 fury's with 16" limbs were that BH, and the XRG was spec'd at 6" brace height. I assumed, maybe wrongly so, that the 16" fury at 5 3/4" BH was a reasonable shooting bow, and read a review by Norb who praised the fury's performance in 1997. So hopefully you can see the genesis of my plan for reducing the XRG brace height 1/4" to match the standard fury. My only problem is I don't know how much longer the cables/string combo would need to be to get that 1/4" lower brace height reduction, and how much poundage that would drop the draw weight.

So, would you or others mind telling me, based on your experience, how much brace height would change with some representative cable/string lengthening numbers? If for example, if I were to lengthen the cables and string 1/2" would the brace height decrease 1/16" or 1/8" or ?? And so on. And finally what would you estimate the #draw weight would drop with that 1/4" reduction in BH through cable/string lengthening.

That is the information I am seeking, and would much appreciate your and others input.

Thanks again, Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bow66 View Post
    ...would you or others mind telling me, based on your experience, how much brace height would change with some representative cable/string lengthening numbers? If for example, if I were to lengthen the cables and string 1/2" would the brace height decrease 1/16" or 1/8" or ??
    If you lengthen the string to 62.5" and the cables to 43.5, the ATA will increase by exactly 1/2".

With the limb angle that bow has, the brace height will decrease by about the same amount.

The draw weight, will hardly change at all.

The rules are different for a parallel limb bow, except for the ATA length.