Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAE Vane users?

Post Thanks / Like

Default AAE Vane users?

Curious if any of you AAE Vane users have noticed any changes recently?

I've used (3) 4" AAE Plastifletch EF-40 helical fletched vanes on my arrows for a long time and loved them.
    Recently picked up a couple packs and fletched a couple arrows, and while doing so noticed they felt much stiffer and seemed thicker than older ones I have on arrows. Then I weighed them.....averaged 10.1grs each, which is quite a bit heavier than the 8.0gr advertised and what I thought they had been.

As a double check, I weighed the couple completed arrows and check balance, against my other arrows.........6-7grs heavier and about 1% lower FOC.

Probably being a little anal about this, but I always liked their lighter 4" vane compared to others that were typically heavier and not happy with the change.
    Emailed AAE (twice in two weeks) asking about any changes and have had no response.

Guess I could always drop back to a 3" if they're all stiffer and still be ok with broadheads
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

SonnyThomas

Default AAE Vane users?

I quit using AAEs a couple years back so I can't say about stiffness or weight.

They worked, but the reason I started using them was I could get them for $10.00 per 100 pack.

Post Thanks / Like

That's just another reason I use feathers. I've weighed some vanes in a pack of 50 and had anywhere from 8.8 grains to about 12+, and one that was over 15 grains; totally unacceptable.

On the other hand I have shot Duravane LP 400's and these averaged about 6.4 grains and only varied about .2 grain over the whole pack, which only proves that not all vanes are created equally.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I haven't use feathers in almost 3 decades.....maybe I should look at them again?

I agree, some vanes out there vary a lot. That was part of why I originally went with AAE, my older vanes were durable and had a lighter consistent weight than about anyone out there (at the time). Even these new packs I got did seem to be a consistent weight within 1/10gr, BUT apparently now consistently 2.1grs a piece heavier than before.

I may not be shooting Robin Hoods every day (which by the way, I got my second ever just last Friday), but I would assume being able to trust your arrows are all the same when using the same components might be a good thing for getting your best accuracy.

A friend has given me (6) 3.6" Flex-Fletch FFP360 to try.....I weighed them first and got 7.8grs vs claimed 7.7grs.
    Fletched up a couple and they fly nice so maybe I'll give them a try, but dang they're a bit pricey.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

SonnyThomas

Default AAE Vane users?

For general purpose shooting I doubt that anyone notice the weight difference. I did a test once between two different weight arrows and the difference at 20 was hard pressed to show.

On the other hand, years back when I first set up the then new CX Select 300s I weighed all components and when finished there was .1 gr difference in the whole dozen, lightest to heaviest. Today, if come within 1 gr for hi to lo for my target arrows I'm content - done with quality shafts the difference has been closer to 1/2 gr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    For general purpose shooting I doubt that anyone notice the weight difference. I did a test once between two different weight arrows and the difference at 20 was hard pressed to show......
    That is true. Like I admitted right up front, I'm being a little anal over this.........just annoyed me they were so different and AAE won't reply to my emails. (& I was being nice )

I have shot some PSE Carbon Force 300, Beman ICSH340, and Cabela's Carbon Hunter 55/70 that vary in weight from about 400gr to 426gr and they will all group well together at 20yds with field points.
    Even switching some from 100gr head to 125gr head, with combined totals making 10-12fps variance, wasn't really that much different at 20yds. (referring to general shooting)

Now out beyond 30-40yds, or changing to fixed blade broadhead with my bow and all bets are off.
    Last edited by RLW; 01-11-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good point to bring up. In years past I've aways been real anal about such things, but I honestly wonder how many people can shoot well enough to tell a difference of as much as 10 grains between arrows, especially for what we're calling general purpose or even 3D. Even if the arrows might hit a slightly different POI there are few that can shoot well enough to tell it.

But on the other hand I've always tried to teach people to take care of the little details and larger issues will fall in line also. Cut corners and little issues become big ones.

Still, I'll stick with my feathers. I enjoy the quicker stabilization, better FOC, and better durability. YES, better durability. Mess up a feather, even tear one off and the arrow will still shoot the same, assuming the bow is tuned to start with. They just don't weight enough to throw the balance off much.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default AAE Vane users?

Found this back in my old files....

I wanted to know how much drop there is from one arrow weight compared to another, same arrow just different weight and vanes, but keeping close on weight. So I played around on the 20 yard indoor range. I suppose there is some calculation chart or program that would have given such information, but I wanted to see for myself. I used a small 5" level to mark the hits and a machinist 6" ruler for measuring.

The arrows have a weight difference of 10.7 grs. The heavier arrow, 341.8 grs, fell .200" below center of the X. The lighter arrow, 331.1 grs. struck .275" above the center of the X. So a .475" point of impact difference. I shot a bunch of shots with both arrows, at least 12 to 15 times each. I also threw out the extreme highs and lows to get a more fair assessment. All shots taken where within the X ring. Of the pictures I was a little hesitant of shooting both arrows at the target, but amazed myself that the arrows actually struck virtually the same as they had proved. Whew! I could have sent $24.00 down the drain. I just wish I could shoot this good during a actual indoor event. I think the best I ever did was 48Xs and usually in the low 40s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

If I can remember where I found it, somewhere there is a website where a guy took all sorts of vanes and measured accuracy, drop at 30, 40 yards etc. I think he even attempted to determine the quietest vanes. If I can remember where I saw it I will post it, or maybe someone knows of the site I am thinking of.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

I found it, http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fle...ew-speed-drop/ this link shows the whole report including how he conducted the tests. Sorry for the double post, I didn't think I would find it that quick.
    2012 Alien X