Thread: No more glasses! Anyone else who's rid of them?

Post Thanks / Like

Default No more glasses! Anyone else who's rid of them?

I went to have my fit in for contact lenses and man, what took me so long? Wow, what a difference. No more blurry side of the glasses, letting me draw down to push the glasses back up, easier to focus.

One the bad side, I need to readjust my pins a bit . . . well I think. It was my first time today, and for some reason I was shooting to the left. I'll be indoor tomorrow and I'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Do anyone prefer to shoot with glasses over contact lenses?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you. Welcome to the world of seeing. I have had contacts for some years now. I just got bifocal contacts this year. I still can see very well with them. You will love yours especially shooting.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

SonnyThomas

Default No more glasses! Anyone else who's rid of them?

I wish, but I have lopsided eyes. Clear in top left and 1.75 grind in bifocal. Magnification in top right and 1.50 grind in the bifocal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default get lasik done

I had mine done 5 years ago. contacts are ok but you have no idea how nice it is to get up in the morning and not have to find your glasses or put in your contacts. If you have a flex spending account at work it makes it even easer.

Post Thanks / Like

I used glasses for many years then switched to contacts. Then about 10 years ago I had RK (radial keratotomy) done on my eyes. At the time I could take my glasses off and read perfectly. NO more, after the RK I was compelled to wear reading glasses.

Then about 3 years ago my eyes headed south again so now it's glasses again. I was right on the edge of needing glasses for driving and I drive school bus part time so considering the safety of the kids I left my vanity at home and got new glasses with 2.25 bifocals. It sucks getting old.

I'm now in need of new glasses so am contemplating contacts again, but need those with bifocal lenses. So now I ask, Hutch, how do yours work for you? With the bifocals I mean. I've heard conflicting reviews.

One reason I'm considering contacts is that between this and scuba diving I have troubles with glasses. The ones I have now are not coated so I get lots of reflection making them useless for shooting. Is it any wonder I can't hit anything. For scuba diving it's either contacts or a prescription mask with added bifocals for reading my dive computer.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    So now I ask, Hutch, how do yours work for you? With the bifocals I mean. I've heard conflicting reviews.
    Contacts have come a long ways in the past five years. The eye doc I have gave me three choices.
    1. One prescription for one eye (near sighted) and the other (far sighted)
    2. Bifocal contacts both prescriptions in them.
    3. Contacts plus reading glasses.

I heard that most people that do 1. have to wait a few minutes for their eyes to focus. So that was not an option.

I knew that 3. was not an option at this age of life. I don't want to carry readers.

So I did 2. Bifocal contacts.
    It took one to two days to get use too them. But they noticeably improved my sight. For me seeing distance was great! But in reading I needed to learn to move my reading material to the correct distance and then there was no problem.

So the best thing to say is a week of adjusting to them and I was fine.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish my arms were long enough to type a response without using a pointy stick for the key strokes. lol Been wearing glasses for 20 years now, and into the bifocal lenses for 3 years. Definitely thinking about Lasik. I can only get 2 things in my vision clearly. Peep and sight, or sight and target. I'd like to get back to being able to have a non-fuzzy peep while I'm focused on my target dot.

Post Thanks / Like

I am near sighted, and I started wearing glasses about 2-3 years ago. I got contacts shortly thereafter, and I found that I can see even better with contacts than with glasses. I have worn glasses while shooting, and without a problem, but there is nothing like contacts.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I just wish my arms were long enough to type a response without using a pointy stick for the key strokes. lol Been wearing glasses for 20 years now, and into the bifocal lenses for 3 years. Definitely thinking about Lasik. I can only get 2 things in my vision clearly. Peep and sight, or sight and target. I'd like to get back to being able to have a non-fuzzy peep while I'm focused on my target dot.
    Yeah, its tough typing with pointy stick. Have you tried using a verifier? I was like you, could only see one part clearly or the other, now I see all three clearly, peep, pin, and target. Next time you're in a good shop, ask to see the Specialty Archery verifiers. Just might help.
    http://www.specialtyarch.com/verifiers.asp
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip elkslayer, I'll have to give that a try. I figured there had to be something out there, short of Lasik, but wasn't sure what it was. This is the first year it's really started to be much of a problem for me, but I can't see it getting any better in the future.