Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question in arrow leveling ?

Hybrid View

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question in arrow leveling ?

When leveling the arrow with the berger hole, does the arrow have to be perfectly inline of the middle of the berger hole. Or can it be a little above or a little below center.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I get the rest as close to the shelf as I can, without getting fletching contact.

On most of my bows, the entire berger hole is visible above the arrow shaft.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I get the rest as close to the shelf as I can, without getting fletching contact.

On most of my bows, the entire berger hole is visible above the arrow shaft.
    With the style rest this bow has, the lowest we can go is the line of the bottom of the berger hole.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

SonnyThomas

Default Question in arrow leveling ?

Rule of thumb has always been; center of arrow shaft intersecting the berger and never have the center of the shaft be higher than the top of the berger hole.

Still, as long as the arrow (vanes) can clear the shelf I suppose below the berger hole would work. Problem would be if a something pointed to move the rest further down.

And then I've seen people set up the rest and nock so the arrow is above the berger hole. I can't say either above or below gave good results as I've never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

As a complete newb to this fine sport, after reading this post i wondered if there is a comprehensive diagram with the anatomy of a compound bow so i can follow along with the forum posters. Sorry for the off topic, just needed to ask

Billguys

Default Every one can ask

I think I'm not the authorized person to answer your question. As far as I know your taking up medical course. So its dealt life of animal..

I want to make its sure so go, visit uncle google.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    As a complete newb to this fine sport, after reading this post i wondered if there is a comprehensive diagram with the anatomy of a compound bow so i can follow along with the forum posters. Sorry for the off topic, just needed to ask
    Berger holes= the taped holes in the riser just above the arrow shelf, used to attach the arrow rest. It's ok to ask, we're here to answer.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

When leveling the arrow with the berger hole, does the arrow have to be perfectly inline of the middle of the berger hole. Or can it be a little above or a little below center.
    G'day Hutch. When setting up, I use a long bolt that fits right through the berger hole and touches a nocked arrow giving me a good indication where centre is. For me centre of berger hole works best, BUT, that's not to say for some people a little above or below would work better.

No one has exactly the same form and I've found that in archery what always comes out trumps for me , is good ol trial and error.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am a rookie and I ask rookie questions.

Why is it called a Berger hole, is there some significance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I too am a rookie and I ask rookie questions.

Why is it called a Berger hole, is there some significance?
    Man, now you asked a question I can answer, but be ready for some history.

It kind of started back before compunds came on the scene. Recurves were the norm and risers were not machined or cut past center so we used stcick-on arrow rests such as Flipper rests. To compensate for archer's paradox we would build up the side plate with leather pads or some other stick-on material.

So in the early 70's this guy called Vic Berger came up with a better idea than building up the side plate. It was called a Berger Button, commonly called a cushion plunger. To was adjustable for both the amount of centershot needed to reduce archer's paradox and spring tension for fine tuning the same. The only problem was that it was (is) threaded so risers needed to be drilled and threaded to accept it, which every manufacturer of bows ended up doing.

The drilling and thread pattern became an AMO standard that all rests and mounting bolts have adopted. Not too many people use cushion plngers these days, but that doesn't mean they don't work. What they did they did well, and still do. Newer generations of shooters don't know about these things row wouldn't want to use them anyway because they are too "outdated".

OK, so that is where the term Berger holes came from.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver