Thread: Advice on First Bow

Siberian Husky

Default Advice on First Bow

New to the forum...I am 68yrs old, 150lbs.,65"ht with some mild Carpal Tunnel problems..would you gentelmen recommend a bow...really love the Windcatcher...how about #, length, model and any other advice..probably only used for target and possibly deer once in awhile..any other advice you might give...thanks fellas!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! You should not worry about the lenght with a recurve - you can draw to where you like it (i'd say your DL is around 26" or 24-25" with a recurve bow). The question about the draw weight is harder. First do you have any experience with archery? If so you can take a heavier bow - 50 or 55# is the proper weight for hunting big animals i think. If you'll use it for target shooting only you can have a 35 to 45# bow - concidering your health issues i think this would be the right choice. About the model - this depends on you. I like them all Good luck and keep us informed!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Siberian Husky

Thanks for your expertise and great advice!

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome! If you have any more questions i'll be glad to help (if i can). Take care!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian Husky View Post
    New to the forum...I am 68yrs old, 150lbs.,65"ht with some mild Carpal Tunnel problems..would you gentelmen recommend a bow...really love the Windcatcher...how about #, length, model and any other advice..probably only used for target and possibly deer once in awhile..any other advice you might give...thanks fellas!
    You really should start with someting lighter than Alex has recomended, with a recurve you will be holding ALL of the draw weight. 35-45 # at the most, will let you practice longer and more often. Just a thought from someone a couple of years younger than you, ( 66 ) who has been shooting since my mid 20's.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade