Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable replacement for 2010 Bengal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cable replacement for 2010 Bengal

Hi, I have a quick question here for Bengal owners. I'm going to replace my string with an aftermarket one and keep the orange one as a spare. My pro shop is telling me that the cable should also be replaced because of stretching (my string did stretch a bit). Anyone who replaced their string, have you replaced your cable as well?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Post Thanks / Like

I always replace string and cables together. If one has stretched, you can count on the others doing the same. Last set I bought was from H&M, and they came as a package deal for $45 including shipping. For that price, it's well worth replacing both. He makes some pretty good strings too.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Always replace both is what most will tell you on here. It is safer and smarter to replace both. With both replaced it will stay in specs. Especially if it is a custom string and cable. As Ehunter said they both will creep and stretch. H&M and a few others have good deals. I would buy a set from them and install them yourself. We can all walk you through it. It is not that hard to do. And it will be another thing under your belt in the world of learning.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I always replace string and cables together. If one has stretched, you can count on the others doing the same. Last set I bought was from H&M, and they came as a package deal for $45 including shipping. For that price, it's well worth replacing both. He makes some pretty good strings too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Always replace both is what most will tell you on here. It is safer and smarter to replace both. With both replaced it will stay in specs. Especially if it is a custom string and cable. As Ehunter said they both will creep and stretch. H&M and a few others have good deals. I would buy a set from them and install them yourself. We can all walk you through it. It is not that hard to do. And it will be another thing under your belt in the world of learning.

HUTCH
    X3 Always best to replace them both at the same time.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Again, the Martin forum members came through! Thanks, guys.

Hutch, I thought about doing it myself, but my pro shop guy is such a nice guy. His price are decent, and he's the one that organizes the 3D shoots in my town. Sometimes, I like doing this by myself and learn. Other time, I want to encourage the people that support our community. This will be one of these.

Now, in my booklet, it say that I have to back off the bolts before putting the bow in the press. I'm sure he doesn't do that. Should I insist, or is there no real consequences in doing so?

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it both ways. Consider it the same as pulling back your string at 70lbs, it draws the limbs inward. The bow press just pushes it inward at what ever lbs. Yes I do agree that loosening the limb bolts helps. But like I have said a lot of shops do it both ways. So you can suggest it. Also ask him if you can watch him do the work and you can learn while having it done.

HUTCH

Post Thanks / Like

it takes some of the stress off the limbs. An nothing wrong with having your local guy hook you up on the new rigin....that's what keeps him the local guy By all means ask if you may watch over his sholder. Dont be afraid to bend his ear while your there. he may let lose of a few tips
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    I have done it both ways. Consider it the same as pulling back your string at 70lbs, it draws the limbs inward. The bow press just pushes it inward at what ever lbs. Yes I do agree that loosening the limb bolts helps. But like I have said a lot of shops do it both ways. So you can suggest it. Also ask him if you can watch him do the work and you can learn while having it done.

HUTCH
    Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    it takes some of the stress off the limbs. An nothing wrong with having your local guy hook you up on the new rigin....that's what keeps him the local guy By all means ask if you may watch over his sholder. Dont be afraid to bend his ear while your there. he may let lose of a few tips
    Yep, I'll try to watch him do it. That is of course if he can do it while I'm there.

The guy sold me my Bengal. I asked him to let me know when they would go on sale to let me know. He barely knew at the time. I got an email - $60 off. I can't tell you how many times he worked on my bow for free and the avalanche of questions he has to answer every time he sees me.

On top of that, the guy is a legend around here. He's organizing the 3D shoot this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    Yep, I'll try to watch him do it. That is of course if he can do it while I'm there.

The guy sold me my Bengal. I asked him to let me know when they would go on sale to let me know. He barely knew at the time. I got an email - $60 off. I can't tell you how many times he worked on my bow for free and the avalanche of questions he has to answer every time he sees me.

On top of that, the guy is a legend around here. He's organizing the 3D shoot this weekend.
    Can't ask for more than that! Sounds like a guy earning a living not just making money. I have a Martin dealer thats rated 5 star he is the same way. It is nice to have a place like that.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    now is a good time to offer him your help, that is if you have the free time. its alot of work settin up a shoot. evey extra hand helps setin out targets and taking them down. good way to meet more local shooters too..
    Have fun and let us know how you do.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/