Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short draw lengths doomed

SonnyThomas

Default Short draw lengths doomed

Quote Originally Posted by geezer047 View Post
    I got 2 bows that will hit the 300fps+ mark at less than 60 lbs and a 26.5 draw length. A Hoyt Ultratec with Spirals and a Matthews Prestige. Charlie
    Having shot Hoyts from 1999 up into the summer of 2010, I'd say you were pushing the limit somewhere with getting 300 fps from your UltraTec, especially when it is listed under 320 fps IBO for years 2004 and 5, 317 and 315 fps respectively. Only the UltraElite was faster, 320 fps.
    Rules of thumb engaged; Subtract 35 fps and you're in the low to mid 280 fps range.

I ain't sayin' it's not possible, just questionable. My fastest UltraTec, a 2000 listed at 314 fps, nails 295 fps. set to 62 pounds and 29" of draw with a 314 gr arrow. I use one brass nock and a cushion button and a just short of 4" center serving.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed kills. But accuracy if faster.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Speed kills. But accuracy if faster.

Hutch
    Well said Hutch.Too many people worry about the "speed " of a bow.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

I keep going over some of the posts here and find that you guys are beginning to leave me way behind. Sorry, but although I like to tinker and have always been a tuning guru I've never delved into tweaking th last fps out of a bow.

I became a staff shooter for a sales rep back in 1993 and for quite a few years chased the mythical 300 fps, never getting close. Then I joined with Martin and had my Slayr doing 308 fps, as I stated earlier.

Some months later I shortened the draw to 27" and shot a lot better. About two months later I moved the mod back to 27.5 and found I couldn't come close to controlling the bow any more. This only points out what Sonny has been saying. Accuracy is much more important than speed, especially in a hunting setup.

In the past I shot a lot of 3D with bows that shot about 265 to 270 fps and frankly my scores are not much different than shooting at 300 fps. Judging distance is something I'm fairly good at. I do know to estimate distance, set the sight, and execute the shot. If you flub the shot you have no idea of whether your judging skills are any good and more speed is not going to compensate for it. And having a case of target panic I do flub my share of shots.

Before I get too far along here I want to explain that I'm no whiz-bang shooter any more. I'm 63 years old with aging eyes and some muscle loss with a condition unknown that leaves me with muscles constantly twitching in my left shoulder down into the arm. With all this against me I still like to shoot. I just recognize and accept that I'm past my prime so shoot for the pure joy of it and keeping active. About all I have left is 38 years of experience which I like to share if it can helps others. Of course I still learn a lot from these forums. I refuse to give up. Surrender is not in my vocabulary.

So that is my rant for the day. Now on with the show.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chasing speed...

some just have to have the new hotness..They forget that once apon a time, that was 200. If a guy wants to spend all of his energy tring to gain yet another 1-2 fps rather then taming the 280+ he alreay has thats fine with me... I would rather spend my free time on the range shooting a well tuned bow..not one that has be all hyped up to max stress on lims,string twised to almost knots, with arrows just heavy enough to prevent dry fire. I am a long draw guy so perhaps I miss the point
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

OK, Sonny you may have got me I really don't remember trying to get the Ultratec to 300 fps. I assumed that it would because it will shoot the same fps as the Prestige at the same DW. A 275 grain arrow 50 lb DW 26.5 DL = 280fps. The Prestige with a 310 grain Fatboy will hit 300+ at 60lb DW and 26.5 DL. Tried that
    Anyway need to get with you and work on a good forgiving setup for the Cat. Still fighting that DL on it too. See you.
    MR Bfisher, Know what it's like. Been shooting all my life and the last few years my shooting has really went downhill. Eyes going bad, can't see the pins, double vison, shoulders hurting and going from fingers to a release a couple of years ago has giving a bad case of TP. Love to shoot but have been considering giving it up and just bowhunt. But I got 2 sons that live to shoot and both are outstanding archers. Really enjoy going with them and watching them shoot. Guess I could do what I do best, Drive to the shoots and keep score, I,m a Pro at that
    Charlie

SonnyThomas

Default Short draw lengths doomed

I gotta have fun here...

Quote Originally Posted by geezer047 View Post
    OK, Sonny you may have got me I really don't remember trying to get the Ultratec to 300 fps. I assumed that it would because it will shoot the same fps as the Prestige at the same DW. A 275 grain arrow 50 lb DW 26.5 DL = 280fps. The Prestige with a 310 grain Fatboy will hit 300+ at 60lb DW and 26.5 DL. Tried that

First, if you assume you know what happens? Just separate s and u and u from m. Second, Hoyt being snobbish, speed doesn't rub off on them and then Hoyts are sterile so breeding for speed is of no use.

Anyway need to get with you and work on a good forgiving setup for the Cat. Still fighting that DL on it too. See you.

If for a longer bow arm we could probably get the draw length correct. A bit of string playing can make the draw length a bit more friendly. Working with the draw stop does help. For the Cat and forgiveness, it sort of depends on what side of the bed the Cat woke up on. One day I can drill flea at 50 yards and the next day they don't make a barn big enough. Headin' for 62 turning the draw weight down and going to a lighter arrow works wonders. I'm looking at the Victory line at the moment. One arrow I've worked up makes me wonder if it will be too light. Heavier tip and larger vanes should correct this.

MR Bfisher, Know what it's like. Been shooting all my life and the last few years my shooting has really went downhill. Eyes going bad, can't see the pins, double vision, shoulders hurting and going from fingers to a release a couple of years ago has giving a bad case of TP.

I went to a slightly larger peep opening and better fiber optic pin. Being blind in one eye and can't see out of the other I can't tell you if it really works. For the double vision you have to work out which one is the real critter and then you good to go. For blurry targets just aim for the center of the blur. For hurting shoulders, first thing in the morning I take Tylenol Arthritis Pain tablets along with my Metform and vitamin pill. Racing motorcycles and riding a few broncs in my younger days I carried Darvon, but now they say the stuff is bad for you. So, I carry a supply of Bayer Aspirin. Probably should have bought Bayer stock. And they say Bayer is good for your heart. According to my wife I don't have to worry as I have no heart. I don't know, something about loving 3D more than her and "why don't you just sleep with your bow."
    NOW, this use of profanity in here has got to stop. We'll have no more of that dreaded "bad case" thing you mentioned above.

Love to shoot but have been considering giving it up and just bowhunt. But I got 2 sons that live to shoot and both are outstanding archers. Really enjoy going with them and watching them shoot. Guess I could do what I do best, Drive to the shoots and keep score, I,m a Pro at that

Can't help you with the boys as I had only a daughter. Still, I keep score every now and then and when some one groans I just say; "If my billfold felt better I could make your score make you feel better." (groan) I shoot with poor folk.

Charlie
    Hope I got out of my system whatever I had.....
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 01-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, well I was tinkering with the Cat and noticed the Hoyt hanging in the rack so just for kicks I chronoed it. I found a 240 grain arrow and set the bow to 48 lbs. 5 grains per lb. Chrono at 295, 295.4 and a 296. Scared that 300 fps mark. With the superpeep out may have hit it
    Hey git out of the cold and come on down to Fla. with us. And don't forget that bag of drugs us old guys have to have
    Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    i cant say im not in too speed butttt it is something that id like to have but not in the sacrifice of smoothness and accuracy i was just wondering if there was anything to do that would gain a little speed to shut those hoyt mathews and other brand loyals up???
    Why, yes there is something that will shut them up, Show them your sales recipt and what you paid for your bow.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If not the sales receipt, the bullseye. Hitting again and again and again then may be the embarrassment will shut them up.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com