Thread: New Bow Hunter with String Stopper question

sfameli

Question New Bow Hunter with String Stopper question

Hello All:
    I am a fairly new bow hunter. By fairly, I mean I've taken some informal lessons and I've never shot at a live animal. I guess that makes me brand spankin' new.

I got a new Martin Threshold for Christmas (still waiting for it) and I was wanting to add a string stopper to it. I am wondering what the competing theories are behind this device and what I need to consider when choosing one for my particular bow.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

String stoppers, as we call them, are pretty useful. They can make the bow quiet without the use a string silencers which enhances speed somewhat. They also diminish string over travel which helps keep the string from hitting your forearm or clothes, especially handy with heavy clothes on.

I'm not familar with your bow, but to add the Martin STS the bow has to be drilled to accept it. This would be a 3/8" hole located on the back side (facing you) somewhere below the grip. If your bow is not drilled then you can by several makes that mount to the stabilizer hole in the front of the bow. This would obviously be called a front mount STS.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

sfameli

Thanks bfisher. Are there any brands I should stay away from. Not sure if it will have to be drilled or not. I know there's a stabalizer mount on the front so I think I'm in good shape. Appreciate the feedback. Good hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sfameli View Post
    Thanks bfisher. Are there any brands I should stay away from. Not sure if it will have to be drilled or not. I know there's a stabalizer mount on the front so I think I'm in good shape. Appreciate the feedback. Good hunting.
    If there is no hole for a rear mount STS I wouldn't try drilling one unless you have a drill press and know what you're doing. There can be consequences of this though. You'll void the bow's warranty if you should ever need it.

For front mount string stoppers you can look anywhere you'd like. A local shop would be preferable. There's always Lancaster Archery Supply, Bowhunter's Superstore, Keystone Country Store, or lots of others. Basically you're looking at $40.00.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Norway and STS both make very good front mount string stoppers. I have to agree with bfisher on not drilling the riser for a rear mount unit, you will void your warranty and create a weak spot that could lead to the riser failing. Front mount units work just fine.

Advantage Custom Strings