Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Cable Guard and SOS

Post Thanks / Like

CarlosII, I'm not certain if this is the case, but if the 2010 Shadowcat had the same design as the Firecat and some others for attaching the cable guard rod or CCS then you were informed correctly. The 2010 Firecat has a squared or rectangular slot in the side of the riser for attaching the guard rod or CCS where as my 08 Firecat has a 3/8" guard rod hole which matches the 2011 TRG rod size.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they say that because the cams were designed to work with some lean and if one were to add the new STS, it would result in opposite cam lean?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Rockyhud explained the fitment issue.
    If you have a model that has the ccs or will accept the ccs then the trg/sos setup is not going to work on it.
    If you have a model that uses a 3/8" hole in the riser for a regular cable slide - then you could mount the trg/sos.
    Mounting the trg in the cable slide bracket that mounts to the side of the riser (if possible) would put the cables way out to the side.

Just my thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Default TRG/SOS and new VEM modules arrived - and installed

My new parts arrived today and are now installed. Like dan476 I discovered the rod length needed to be shortened. I cut mine off just shy of 1-inch. After installing and tweaking the TRG position I decided it was time to check out how "things" fit throughout the draw cycle. I placed the string over the hook I hang my bow on (drilled into a wall stud) and slowly pulled it through the full cycle, looking for ANY interference between the cables and modules as well as how the cables traversed the TRG angled slots. They have clearance all the way through the cycle, although they are fairly close to the module edges towards the end, but then just as the module flat comes into play they move back just as they're simultaneously moving toward the center.

After repeating this exercise several times and checking both cams and looking for any contact with the serving on both cables it appears there is none. Whew! That was a relief.

Next, I put my release on and with an arrow loaded drew the bow back and let down several times, slowly the first few times and more rapidly later on. Checking it all over again afterward I still came up with no apparent contact between cables and modules. One thing I did take notice of was the draw cycle seemed improved - near the end as it was about to drop into the valley it seemed to have a little less hump than before - not a big difference but noticeable.

As it was already way past dark, along with windy and cold, I didn't get to shoot it tonight. Lord willing we'll have decent weather for a few more days this week so I might get a chance to do that after work. Once I do I'll have some more info to report back with. In the meantime here are some photos I took. As you'll notice I decided to leave the original STS on. I did this thinking it couldn't hurt and also because as I looked at the string sections between the cams, where the SOS and STS makes contact, it appeared the contact points are about the same distance from the cam to each of these devices which might help control the string better as it comes to rest after the shot. I also thought by dampening the section between the SOS and STS, where the arrow is nocked and released from the string, this section might be better controlled too. Anyway, that's how my mind is rationalizing it now. If the TRG/SOS works out, the only other thing I'll do is put my Limb Savers cable guard rod dampener on the TRG rod to dampen any vibes and noise it might make during and after the shot.

So, without further adieu, here are the first photos of my new creation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Default TRG rod is move in the right direction.

I am looking to mount one on all my bows. However, some modifying will be necessary for the older bows.

1 primary reason why is the older bows have the center of the cable rod to the right of the handle (right handed shooters). The new 2011 TRG handles are machined to put part of the rod into the handle or further to the left. (Guessing about 3/8" different) Unless you mount the new TRG on a off set (bent) rod it will not be adjustable enough to get the full benefit it was designed to give you.

I hope that helps.

Another note Serve your cables with Mini Halo for even better performance.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fancy set-up, Rockyhud You have so many things on the bow!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Alex. Actually most extra parts are vibe/noise dampening devices, if I'm looking at it the same as you are. The bow came with the lower STS and limb dampeners but I added the BowJax RiserJax (near each end of the riser), the cable and string leaches and a quick disconnect (QD) for the front stabilizer, so the bow can still fit in my bow case. The QD also enables me to switch quickly between the Sims X-coil for hunting and my B-Stinger stabilizer if I want to use it when recreational target shooting.

I also added No-Glove finger shooting aids to the string and rest activation line. Last year I noticed some Strother bows had these in place of speed nocks on the string, with the rationale being they strategically added weight to the string to help increase speed (i.e., speed nocks) and at the same time the material enables each piece to act as a string vibe dampening device. I removed the original speed nocks and installed these on the string first then added them to the Limb Driver arrow rest activation line later, as I discovered it was causing some noise as it was drawn tight when the upper limb returned to it's static position, when forcing the arrow rest fork down.

I'm thinking seriously of replacing the rubber leaches on the string with musk ox wool string silencers as these type (rubber and natural fiber) silencers are said to be more effective at dampening string vibes and consequent noise.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add that I also installed a Hunter's Specialties Bow Sling too. This sling has a "permanently" attached plastic clip on each limb, near the riser/limb pocket, that the sling web clips into, making it quick, easy and relatively quiet to disconnect when I don't want it on. This sling makes it convenient when I need to use both hands for climbing, pushing brush aside or other similar situations or when I need to use my binos and I don't want to lay my bow down. The sling is adjustable so I can change how high it rests next to my torso so it doesn't whack into stuff I have on my belt or get caught no low-lying brush. When using the sling I generally carry the bow with the strap over the opposite shoulder so it doesn't slide down all the time like a rifle sling tends to do. I discovered this sling position works well when I rifle hunt as I have a Safari Sling on my rifle.

To some these things may look like a lot of extra weight and cost but in my case they don't add much of either. The RiserJax were $20, the sling was $20, the leaches about $10-15, the No-Glove aids about $4 per package (2 packs used), the X-coil stab about $26 and the QD was $18. The costliest additions have been the TRG/SOS and new VEM modules (about $75 including shipping). Now, if you add the sight, rest and no-peep these obviously cost considerably more but everyone spends more in these versus the costs involved with noise reducing items. Considering the amount of noise they suppress and how valuable that is to a bow hunter it's not much.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be really quiet!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

From what some others I've shot with have told me they agree it is quiet. A friend and former colleague recently emailed me, asking what brand and model bow I have. I replied back and asked why he asked. He said he'd been shooting with his brother and brother's friend, both of whom have Mathews and said he thought there's were quiet but also thought mine was just as quiet if not more so.

Last summer, while camping in the Colorado mountains, our daughter and future son-in-law, Cameron, came to stay with us. One day I pulled out the bow and shot my field point target for a while. This got Cameron's interest piqued as I shot from further and further distance. He finally decided he'd like to try shooting it some as it had been quite some time since he'd shot a bow. After a few instructions he was ready. This gave me a chance to stand back and watch him shoot as well as listen to my bow. Standing about 10 feet away I was amazed how much quieter it sounded than when I'm the one shooting. Moving a little further away I was even more impressed - this bow really is pretty quiet, especially considering it's a speed/hunting bow.

Part of this is due to the several dampeners I've installed but part of it's also due to shooting heavier arrows. My lightest arrows weigh in at 450 grains and my heaviest weigh 560 grains. This additional weight allows the bow to take a just a little more time transferring its stored energy into the arrow during the shot and helping to make a quieter shot.

On a different topic I got a little bit of time this evening to put about 20 arrows through the bow with the TRG/SOS and new VEMs installed. I was curious as to whether there would be any differences in sound, vibes and accuracy. I was pleased with the results. The sound is a little higher in frequency/pitch but not louder and it seems the duration of the noise impulse is a little shorter than before. There was no change in vibes felt in the riser which is good as there were none before. As for accuracy I couldn't really tell if there was any change as it was way past what would be legal shooting light when I started and the light faded fast as I shot, to the point the bull's eyes were getting hard to distinguish at 30+ yards. One thing I did notice was the point of impact seemed to have shifted some to the right, based on how the arrows were grouping when shooting at the same spot. I can only speculate this being due to the TRG and how it deals with the torque on the cables as opposed to how the regular slide handled the torque. I'm hoping the weather holds out more so I can get some more shooting time with better light to get a better impression of the effects of changing to the TRG/SOS and new VEMs.

There was another thing I was anxious to find out and that was whether or not there would be any contact between the cables and cams. I had a pretty good idea from checking things out last night, while slowly drawing and relaxing the bow, that there was a good chance there wouldn't be any contact, but sometimes things behave differently at normal speeds. I was very relieved to find no evidence of contact anywhere after the shooting session. I also didn't see any evidence of wear in the areas where the cables run through the TRG. Also, the impression I got last night that the draw was a little smoother and the drop into the valley had a little less "hump" was reaffirmed. From what I remember about how the Onza 3 felt when I got a chance to shoot one recently, my Firecat's draw cycle seems very similar. I am definitely pleased with the results so far.