Thread: Rest and arrow questions!!!

Hybrid View

Louis

Default Rest and arrow questions!!!

Hello,

I am shooting an 09 Firecat with a Hostage pro rest. Is it better to have the rest set as far forward to the riser or further back (as far as forgiveness)? Also how good are the vane tec fetchings that come standard on the Gold tip arrows v.s the Blaser vanes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Hello,

I am shooting an 09 Firecat with a Hostage pro rest. Is it better to have the rest set as far forward to the riser or further back (as far as forgiveness)? Also how good are the vane tec fetchings that come standard on the Gold tip arrows v.s the Blaser vanes?
    Its normally considered better to have the rest as close to the riser as possable, thats part of the reason you don't see overdraws in use any longer.
    Can't comment on the VaneTecs, never used them, I fletch mostly with blazers and AAE's and a few feathers.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure which Vanetec you were refering to, but if comparing to a Bohning Blazer, did you mean the Vanetec's HP?
    I've read where some people had adhesion trouble with Blazers, but I never did, mine stuck fine and are still shootable, even the one that went thru the last buck. I hunt with an X rigged bow, so vane clearence is a problem. So I did look at the Vanetec HP's. And will be using them on the next set of arrows. There are a few slight differences. Blazers are .6" high, Vanetec's are .5" Blazers weigh 6 grn each and the Vanetecs 5 grn each.
    We just recently built the new hunters in our family new arrows, and used Gateway Rayzr's which are way lighter, but grab more air, and should stabilize the kids broadhead arrows better. Same height as the Vanetec HP's. Results aren't in as yet. Did I help or muddy the water?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Also how good are the vane tec fetchings that come standard on the Gold tip arrows v.s the Blaser vanes?
    I have used vanetec HP vanes and found that they are very durable. In comparison with Blazer vanes, I would say that the Blazers are just a little tougher than the Vanetec HP's, but not by much. Both seem to fly the same and seem to stick well.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

SonnyThomas

Default Rest and arrow questions!!!

Probably personal preference on my part, but there's just something about VanTecs I don't care for. I'll stay with Blazers.

Arrow rest, close or far. You'd probably have to do a lot of testing to prove the best accuracy. One of my most accurate 3D bows has the vanes laying between the prongs of the rest, that far away from the riser, if you could say far from the riser. Pictured is a 2000 Hoyt UltraTec with overdraw riser design. I'll put this bow up against any bow when it comes to accuracy. I de-tuned it (got the speed down - 275 fps) and used it to take 2nd place in Championship flight of Senior Adult Freestyle in the 2006 IAA State Field Championship. J.A. beat me by handful of points - Yes, he was shooting a Martin Scepter.
    Vanes are 4" AAEs. End prongs to string measures 4 1/2".
    Note; Sims cushions on guide rod - they kept the cable from hitting the rest - rod to cable is just short of 7/8".
    Other; and my typical center serving - a little longer than usual - 4 3/4".
    My 3D arrow for this bow was CX 200 with cut shaft length of 25 3/4" - Bohning 4" vanes with 90 gr field point. Bow set to 29" of draw, draw weight of 62 pounds. Brace height of this bow by the book is 6 5/8", but this figured by mulitple angle (Hoyt brain fart) - actual is 7 1/8".
    I still have this bow, my Ole War Horse. I get it out from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 01-20-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Probably personal preference on my part, but there's just something about VanTecs I don't care for. I'll stay with Blazers.
    I also prefer Blazers as well. As I said in my other post, the Vanetecs were not bad at all, but once again, personal preference.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to be fussy but some of the last blazers I bought, were different weights. Some 6 grn some 8 grn. Not that I would stop buying them. But you think a leading company like that would produce a them better.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Louis

Default Thank you!

Ok, thanks for everyone's advise!