Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, now what BT release showed up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok, now what BT release showed up

Well folks I went an done it..Jumped in to the icey waters head first.

I picked up a Tru Ball BT Gold Ultra 3. It looks as thou it was never used. I have ajusted the halfmoon per the truball web site.

Only thing, is it enough or to much? As per everthing I have read on learning to use a BT. I took a old bow string to make a training aid.(need something else, it kills my hand)

I am looking for any advise or tips to help me master this, with out punching my self in the face. It does not have a safty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple Carter BT releases, don't use them much but a buddy of mine swears by them. When he taught me to use mine he said to make sure to wrap my thumb around the thumb peg till it touched my index finger, then draw the bow putting most of the pressure on the thumb/index finger untill you get to anchor then take your thumb off the peg after getting the pin on the target and then start to pull through the shot with your back muscles.
    In case you haven't been told yet.......draw the string back, away from your face, just in case.
    If you find the need to let down because the release isn't going off soon enough, wrap your thumb back around the peg.

Advantage Custom Strings

SonnyThomas

Nice release. I had one once. Bought it...Stole it. The store miss-marked the release, $27.99. Snatched it up faster than greased lightening.

First, if you haven't messed with one, get someone who has.

I see you have found the TRU Ball website and set the release.
    Suggested is to have the release set heavy until you get the back tension working properly.
    String arm; String elbow in line with power stroke of string. The elbow has to be as such to allow the muscles to pull past the pivot point. In other words, if you pull and the elbow goes down and/or out you're doing it wrong. The elbow should go straight back or even a tad to the right of the power stroke.

Your Gold should have a clicker - read of it. Basically, if it isn't set for the clicker, you remove the half moon, turn it around and put it back in.

Like Archer said; Hang on to the thumb barrel. I nearly knocked out myself twice. Once I was on my knees and staring out in space.

The training aid. I made my own. Checking in secret files...... found it. I used a length of 2413 alum arrow and gave it a slight bend and the string is trot line. Later I built up the handle with tape.
    Basically, attach the string as shown and then just tie knots in the string until you adjust to your draw length - Bow arm strong and good anchor point.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ajusted

I had it set as shown in picture, I was not sure if it may have been too heavy. Had a heck of a time to get it to fire. so a redo on the training aid. using a pice of thick leather in the hand. its helping. ajusted length to help find a good ancor pt.
    then re-ajusted half moon so its abit softer, It does have a click to it, right befor it fires. managed to lanch the string 3-4 feet so hopefuly my form is good ..no one around here shoots one, Im the test dummy...lol Will keep at it and hopefuly i can train the dog to fetch this string aid Any pointers are more then welcome.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is getting scary, Sonny ( what's that about shooting in the house ? ) is telling Elkslayer how to's for his new to him BT release! Run Koda! Might need more than a good pointer, like a great backstop !
    Elkslayer, see, told ya that it would be Sonny with the most comprehensive discussion on the use of the aforementioned device.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

spent alot of time digging threw archery talk last night found a good bit of info posted in past threads, even a youtube video made by GRIV. looks as thou I am on track. thanks again sonny. I have not found any text on the clicker but the youtube vid touched on it..
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

here is the link i dug up to Griv's youtube Video.. Its about 9 min. and found it very helpfull. even if Im just using the plan ole string trainer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qkJ2oDZrRI
    Any helpful do and dont's? any of you have discoverd along this path.
    Darton Fury recurve

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Now this is getting scary, Sonny ( what's that about shooting in the house ? ) is telling Elkslayer how to's for his new to him BT release! Run Koda! Might need more than a good pointer, like a great backstop !
    Elkslayer, see, told ya that it would be Sonny with the most comprehensive discussion on the use of the aforementioned device.
    I may be stupid, but not insane. Regardless, once you get the hang of bt release they are pretty safe - wouldn't want some of the my friends around me though. They call ya on the cell phone when on the verge of shooting, lickin' ya in the ear. I use the word "friends" loosely. Great bunch of guys, but dang, they'll take your stabilizer, take your arrows, hide your bow and call out a your 10 as a miss.... Suckers turnt the lights out on the indoor range when I was about to shoot.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 01-22-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    they'll take your stabilizer, take your arrows, hide your bow and call out a your 10 as a miss.... Suckers turnt the lights out on the indoor range when I was about to shoot.
    Now thats not very friendly, doubt they would like it when i got my stabilizer back had a buddy think it funny to unhinge your knee from behind @ your shot..only did it once to me lol
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Default new release aid

After messing with just a string last night, and watching the youtube vid.
    I set out about the house to find some other items this evening.
    With the wifes Ok . I re-built her bungie exercise thing, in to this handy training devise.
    Used one handle, atached length of 550 cord for wrist strap.(picking it up off the floor every shot is a PITA thing)
    Koda was no help
    Made a loop out of old lanyard, extra long tied like a D loop with extra half hitch. can use this to ajust for stiffer pull.
    The pull weight wont regester on my spring scale so its uner 15lbs..
    It has no solid back wall.. But I have another handle ready for next one with solid backwall hummm thinking
    Darton Fury recurve