Thread: how to determine draw weight of a bow

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to determine draw weight of a bow

was wondering how to find out what the draw weight of my new to me bow is without having to take it to a shop. is there any way i can do it at home? i'm wanting to know so i can get the correct arrows for it. it's a jaguar with a 28" draw.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a bow scale.

You will need one eventually anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Buy a bow scale.

You will need one eventually anyway.
    if a shop is out of the question this is the only way you will ever truely know..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

guess i'll have to order a scale. the info on the limb tag is not legible, must have worn off. i was told that it was probably set at 70 lbs, but i can pull it back with no more effort than my old bow that was set at 60, so i'm kind of curious as far as that goes and i also want to get the correct arrows before i do much shooting. i was told to get carbons with as close to a 400 spine and 8 grains(?) per inch. does this sound about right? i'm not wanting to spend a ton on arrows, but i want something i can shoot both target and hunt with since i'm probably going to start hunting this fall (hoping to get good enough to take down a deer after practicing if the weather would ever cooperate). any ideas on a good quality arrow that won't break the bank? also, should i be shooting broadheads as well to get used to them and what type of target will work for both field points and broadheads? i'm really new to the sport, so please excuse all the questions. if i start driving people nuts, just let me know.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tombarbee64 View Post
    guess i'll have to order a scale. the info on the limb tag is not legible, must have worn off. i was told that it was probably set at 70 lbs, but i can pull it back with no more effort than my old bow that was set at 60, so i'm kind of curious as far as that goes and i also want to get the correct arrows before i do much shooting. i was told to get carbons with as close to a 400 spine and 8 grains(?) per inch. does this sound about right? i'm not wanting to spend a ton on arrows, but i want something i can shoot both target and hunt with since i'm probably going to start hunting this fall (hoping to get good enough to take down a deer after practicing if the weather would ever cooperate). any ideas on a good quality arrow that won't break the bank? also, should i be shooting broadheads as well to get used to them and what type of target will work for both field points and broadheads? i'm really new to the sport, so please excuse all the questions. if i start driving people nuts, just let me know.
    Here is the one I bought and it works fine.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/90-LB-BOW-SCALE-...#ht_2314wt_698
    You can probably get it cheaper as I did by shopping around.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Once you find out what the draw weight of your bow is, I see Goldtip arrows fletched with 2" Blazers for under $60 a doz at both Cabela's and Sportsmans Guide, they are uncut, full length. I know Cabela's will cut them for you, not sure about SG, but, a heck of a price.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a 70# bow then depending on your draw length, a 400 spine would probably be too weak. Post up your DL and DW when you get it figured out and I can run the numbers for you on OT2 so you'll know for sure what shaft you should use.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a scale i just keep adding wieght to the string till it pulls it back... I use my workout weights??
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

juicycouture123

Default juicy Couture Bags

Sweet, sexy, rebellious personality will bring together a variety of styles of Juicy Couture. Our Juicy Couture Outlet store just to meet the complexity of modern women personalities. So there are many Juicy Couture Bags and accessories you can choose.

Post Thanks / Like

was wondering how to find out what the draw weight of my new to me bow is without having to take it to a shop. is there any way i can do it at home? i'm wanting to know so i can get the correct arrows for it. it's a jaguar with a 28" draw.
    The DW should be marked on the limbs, 45-60/ 55-70. With the limb bolts turned all the way down, the peak weight should be appox. 1-2 pounds over the marked weight. A 60# bow should max at around 61-62 pounds. If you back each limb bolt out one full turn it should drop the weight appox. 3#. You need to back the limb bolts out equally. These are all just appox. figures and you should either find a shop with a scale or buy an inexpensive one for home use so you know for sure what the bow is set on.

Advantage Custom Strings