Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Shadowcat Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Shadowcat Questions

I appreciate the help given here on the forum as I try to get this Shadowcat shooting like it should. I'd like to impose some more on their good nature.

Question: The cables are touching/rubbing below the cable rod. Is this normal?

Question: I was told by one Martin staff shooter that the position the SC likes best as far as the arrow plane is concerned is when half the burger hole is showing with an arrow in place. Does that sound right?

I really like the way this bow draws, but my arrows are scattered all over the place. I'm shooting Victory X Ringer 350's which is stiff for my 27.5 inch draw/50 pound draw weight. The rest is a Bodoodle 500.

Any suggestions will be taken into consideration and appreciated.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    I appreciate the help given here on the forum as I try to get this Shadowcat shooting like it should. I'd like to impose some more on their good nature.

Question: I was told by one Martin staff shooter that the position the SC likes best as far as the arrow plane is concerned is when half the burger hole is showing with an arrow in place. Does that sound right?

I really like the way this bow draws, but my arrows are scattered all over the place. I'm shooting Victory X Ringer 350's which is stiff for my 27.5 inch draw/50 pound draw weight. The rest is a Bodoodle 500.

Cables rubbing? In most cases the glide will separate them. But I have also seen the cable glide in backwards and that allowed the cables to touch. Rubbing won't hurt them. But checkout glides that separate better.

Berger hole ? Yes this is right. In line or midway is ok.

Arrow placement? Assuming your form is perfect, then the next stage is arrows. My son was all over the place and we found out today that after he tuned the arrows he is grouping perfectly.
    One last thing if your center serving is too tight this too will have a major effect on how the arrow leaves the string.
    Hutch
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 01-24-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

SonnyThomas

No, the cables should not rub. As Hutch said, possibly the guide is on backwards or one cable is on the wrong side - So bow press time here.
    The cables rubbing could rob speed - I had this before and I did lose speed.

I really don't have a answer for the arrows/grouping thing. Bob D shoots a Bengal has great accuracy and at only 45 pounds.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 01-24-2011 at 05:18 PM.

SonnyThomas

Carlso, if you didn't live so far away I'd say bring it to me. I'd have that Shadow shooting or at least know why it wasn't shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the length of your arrows? 350 spine seems really stiff.
    Have you tried 400's?

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbing cables can happen. You can work this out by trying different cable slides. Or just ignore it at that should not create that lot of wear to it. I'd ignore it...

The Arrow position in relation to the Berger hole is not important in my eyes. Keep it somehwere around the Berger hole and everything is good. It is much more important that the height relation between your nocking point and your rest is good. What does it help if the arrow is right beside the Berger hole, your nocking point is waaaay off to high or too low? Nothing.

350 spine? lol!
    I shoot 32" draw, 60 lbs and use 300 spine arrows with 160gr tips and they work for my ShadowCat and me. I'd try 400 or less stiff with your draw/weight ratio. Easton chart gives me .500 arrows for your setup (assuming your using 125gr tips).
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate all the responses.
    I suspect the previous owner replaced the original cable slide with an after-market one. The one on there now is white and I think the original slide was black. Used bows off the internet...
    I am trying the Victory's because I was wanting to shot a fatter arrow for 3D. Its too bad that the 350 is the weakest spine they offer.
    I've had the bow in the vise, leveled everything up, and the shaft on the rest, when nocked, is dead level.
    Back to the range today to try some more stuff and check the cam timing, as best I can.

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate all the responses.
    I suspect the previous owner replaced the original cable slide with an after-market one. The one on there now is white and I think the original slide was black. Used bows off the internet...
    I am trying the Victory's because I was wanting to shot a fatter arrow for 3D. Its too bad that the 350 is the weakest spine they offer.
    I've had the bow in the vise, leveled everything up, and the shaft on the rest, when nocked, is dead level.
    Back to the range today to try some more stuff and check the cam timing, as best I can.
    The original Martin slide on the ShadowCat is also white. You can see that on the pictures of my ShadowCat at the other thread. The carbon bow was just out of the box when i took the picture.

Check GT arrows. They have large diameter lightweight and light spined carbon arrows.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I agree so long as the arrow is running threw the berger hole you can tune easy enough from there. nock Pt being dead level @ a 90* to string may be a small issue, might raise it a tad. And yea that 340 spine is flat killing you.. sorry have to go lighter...I use 400's @ 30" and 32" off two bows that are 55 -58 lbs
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    The original Martin slide on the ShadowCat is also white. You can see that on the pictures of my ShadowCat at the other thread. The carbon bow was just out of the box when i took the picture.

Check GT arrows. They have large diameter lightweight and light spined carbon arrows.
    Yes, white slide - short slot end goes to riser. Bottom cam, cable to front of cam should be on the outside all the way up - it goes in the short slot. Other cable should be to left of first cable and not cross the first cable.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 01-25-2011 at 12:50 PM.