Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This in my 06 Slayer

Post Thanks / Like

i dont understand what you mean by i got 80 yards out of your hha im sorry i am new to all this im acustomed to stick and string

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bucknuts17 View Post
    i dont understand what you mean by i got 80 yards out of your hha im sorry i am new to all this im acustomed to stick and string
    The HHA is a single pin slider sight, meaning the sight itself slides up and down. There is an indicator on it and a tape with yardage markings(20 yd., 30 yd. etc.), so all you do is slide the indicator to the yardage you want to shoot. Elkslayer was able to put yardage markings up to 80 yards on his sight.
    The picture is of my Truglo Range Rover, which uses the same principal. You can see the white tape with the yardage markings, and the indicator is barely visible at the bottom of the tape, because I have it set for 20 yd.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 01-28-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

i would imagine that takes some getting used to seems to me its just one more thing to do when that deer comes into range and as far as having an 80 yard pin, i dont think i be taking that shot

Post Thanks / Like

Want to know what your 06 Slayer is capable of? Below is a pic of my 55# Slayer, the one I shoot 3D and field rounds with, you can see the HHA slider indicator is way above the last mark which is 75 yds, Thats as far as I can shoot on my backyard fied range ( yes I know, field rounds go out to 80 yds, I have to stand on the neighbors to get that ) Please excuse my shakey numbers as its a difficult spot to write in! I was just too lazy to take the tape off and make a neater one, my bad.

http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

i would imagine that takes some getting used to seems to me its just one more thing to do when that deer comes into range and as far as having an 80 yard pin, i dont think i be taking that shot
    Well, yes it is one more thing to think about before your draw on that deer/ target/ elk/ or whatever. But it is time well spent, as it gives you time to check your yardage, I carry a rangefinder, re set if you need to ( I hunt with my pin set at 30yds ) AND then calmly, make the shot. I"ll tell right now, keep your eyes off his headgear!
    As far as shooting at 80 yds, it sure makes 40 yds look close, that why we shoot out there, well that and it's about the only way I can watch my arrow flight, its usally in the target before I can see it in flight, all 3 of my Martin are pretty quick!
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-28-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I usually hunt with my pin at 30 yards as well. I also leave my locking knob loose so I can make quick adjustments.
    As far as making an 80 yard shot on an animal, I wouldn't take the shot, but I have shot at a target from 100 yards using my Jaguar and Truglo Range Rover.
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 01-28-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When you practice enough with a single pin you usually can set the yardage and not worry about 5 to 10 yard difference. So when a deer comes and you are set for 35 yards 5 to 10 yards difference will only be inches of lowering or raising the bow.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

No its not a shot I'd take either, but I do have to be deadly out to 60 yds when chasing elk, and by that I mean within an 8 inch circle, paper plate. Some days I can shoot a group like that at 80, could do it all the time when I was half as old. It really hard to say that you won't take a shot, until you hunted hard 6 days and on your last morning, there's that 75-80 shot at a grazing elk. Then, you tempted to re think that.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    It really hard to say that you won't take a shot, until you hunted hard 6 days and on your last morning, there's that 75-80 shot at a grazing elk. Then, you tempted to re think that.
    You definitely have a point there. Not that I'm going to see a deer 80 yards away in our woods though.

Post Thanks / Like

From the Pacific coast to about 30 miles inland, it's really dense and hard to see more that 30 yds. Beyond that the clearings get bigger and bigger, and so you need to be able take the 60 yd shot, not that we shoot a lot of animals at those distances, still need to be prepared to, because hunting public land, thats the kind of shot you most often get.