Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 Martin Mystic -Need to lower poundage HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy 09 Martin Mystic -Need to lower poundage HELP

I am brand new to archery. My husband just got me my 2009 Martin Mystic yesterday. My Bow # 0913614 has Furious Cams. The ratings on it are:
    40-50 lb
    26" - 29" Draw Length

When I went to the Archery shop today, we discovered I cannot pull the weight and they lowered it to 35. They said I might be able to get another set of limbs that would lower the poundage to at least 30 lbs. Do you have them ? AS I need to go lower to at least 30 lbhs to be comfortable. Please help. I Love the Bow I just can't pull it. Thanks
    Tere Hancock
    Meezermom@att.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meezermom View Post
    I am brand new to archery. My husband just got me my 2009 Martin Mystic yesterday. My Bow # 0913614 has Furious Cams. The ratings on it are:
    40-50 lb
    26" - 29" Draw Length

When I went to the Archery shop today, we discovered I cannot pull the weight and they lowered it to 35. They said I might be able to get another set of limbs that would lower the poundage to at least 30 lbs. Do you have them ? AS I need to go lower to at least 30 lbhs to be comfortable. Please help. I Love the Bow I just can't pull it. Thanks
    Tere Hancock
    Meezermom@att.net
    As far as limbs go, I don't believe Martin makes limbs that go lower than 35 lbs. You can back the limb bolt out one more turn, which would make the draw weight about 33lbs.

My sister wasn't able to pull her bow either when it was set at 35 lbs., so my Dad put rope through a pulley, and put weights on the end, and she pulled that like a bow(I'll post pics in minute). It wasn't long before she was able to pull her bow.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pull 2 sets of ten a day. Every other day and skip the weekend so your muscles heal. In two months you should be able to pull 40 pounds.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a pm i might be able to help you

Post Thanks / Like

Martin does make lighter limbs, limb codes run from 0 to 10, it's just that they are very hard to find, unless you buy a new set, last I heard new was $199. You also can back the limb bolt out several turns, Martin says that their bow have a 15# draw range, thats five turns, at about 8-10 turns out, you can remove the string, but you can shoot at 6 and 7 turns, the bow won't preform well, but will shoot. Our board monitor, bfisher had a 60# bow turned down to 27 # at one point, and it still shot.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-31-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Martin does make lighter limbs, limb codes run from 0 to 10, it's just that they are very hard to find, unless you buy new a new set, last I heard new was $199. You also can back the limb bolt out several turns, Martin says that their bow have a 15# draw range, thats five turns, at about 8-10 turns out, you can remove the string, but you can shoot at 6 and 7 turns, the bow won't preform well, but will shoot. Our board monitor, bfisher had a 60# bow turned down to 27 # at one point, and it still shot.
    A little correction here. It was a 55# bow turned back to 27#, but you still made a good explaination. It's not something I would do on a permanent basis, but will work well enough till some more strength is built up. If shooting the lighter weight for an extended period of time, or permanently, I'd recommend lighter limbs. Assuming that the Mystic has Elite (recurved) limbs they may not be available from Martin any more. If such is the case I would contact Barnesdale.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the correction, that post was made quite a while back, am glad I got most of it correct. So tell us Barry, how was that warm weather? And the diving?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Another way to take a few more pounds out would be to have your shop remove about 5 or so twists from each cable, but this will also lengthen the bows draw length slightly so that will need to be readjusted.

Advantage Custom Strings

garreth

Default need help i am new to the forums

hi i am a 16 year old from australia. i have recently purchsed a L/H martin p3 compound bow but i am right handed i just want to know if i can still use it. it would be verry mutch appreciated