Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengal Speed...? A little dissappointed..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bengal Speed...? A little dissappointed..

ok, went to the indoor range yesterday and chrono'd my 09 bengal.....
    here's my setup.
    29" draw + string loop
    Vapor Trail Strings
    67 lbs
    whisker biscuit ( i know this will slow it down 3-5 fps )
    carbon express maxima 250 arrows....344 grain, they measure 29 3/8ths
    264fps.......i'm a little dissappointed......i would atleast think that it would be up to 285fps atleast.....
    I read jon silks report on the 09 bengal....he was atleast getting 306fps on 30"draw and 70lbs.........
    And to top it off it's a little noisy, not bad just some noise hitting the sts (i think it's that).....I'm going to add some cat whiskers and limbsavers to the limbs.....and see if that helps.....
    & the camo finish is flaking off on the riser in a few spots....

I just wish Martin's speed was a little bit more realistic, more like hoyts bows that routinely make or beat their speed claims...
    I still like the bow, amazing draw cycle....not selling it, just looking for ways to improve it without breaking the bank and figure out i should've bought something else.....

Anyone else experiencing the same issues..... & what you did to remedy the situation....?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    ok, went to the indoor range yesterday and chrono'd my 09 bengal.....
    here's my setup.
    29" draw + string loopVapor Trail Strings
    67 lbs
    whisker biscuit ( i know this will slow it down 3-5 fps )
    carbon express maxima 250 arrows....344 grain, they measure 29 3/8ths264fps.......i'm a little dissappointed......i would atleast think that it would be up to 285fps atleast.....
    I read jon silks report on the 09 bengal....he was atleast getting 306fps on 30"draw and 70lbs.........
    And to top it off it's a little noisy, not bad just some noise hitting the sts (i think it's that).....I'm going to add some cat whiskers and limbsavers to the limbs.....and see if that helps.....
    & the camo finish is flaking off on the riser in a few spots....

I just wish Martin's speed was a little bit more realistic, more like hoyts bows that routinely make or beat their speed claims...
    I still like the bow, amazing draw cycle....not selling it, just looking for ways to improve it without breaking the bank and figure out i should've bought something else.....

Anyone else experiencing the same issues..... & what you did to remedy the situation....?
    Just to clairfiy, you state your draw length is 29 " and then tell us your arrows are 29 3/8" long, Are you saying that the tip of the arrow is 3/8" in front of your rest? Or that the arrow tip is out in frnt of the bow where it is supposed to be and that you're really only drawing 27"ish? If its the latter, that would account for your speed issue. Isn't it 10 fps for each inch of draw? As for the noise, if its not hitting the sts as you suspect, your timimg might be off. There will be other Bengal owners adding thier input soon, and we'll soon have an idea of what is going on.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 01-31-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

....... I just wish Martin's speed was a little bit more realistic, more like hoyts bows that routinely make or beat their speed claims.......
    As far as manufacturers claims, I do think Hoyt is one of the more realistic in their claims, but Martin isn't far off in most cases.......Read thru this later http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...ead.php?t=8600

Having said that, your numbers do seem low and I would agree with your expect number in the 285 range.
    I read that silks article too and noticed he was at 70.4lbs with 30.25 draw.

Few things to double check or consider:

Make sure it is really 67lbs.......not all bow scales are right. I've had mine on three others scale that showed my 65lb draw weight any where from 63lbs to 72lbs (higher was even on dealer scale)
    Double check draw length..........F5 module should be close to the 29" draw
    Cam/wheel binding up at all? My bengal did loosen up after a couple months of shooting and picked up a light speed.
    Make sure the chronograph is correct.......many of them do not read well and are low in indoor lighting.

Assuming you use a 75gr point with that light arrow.
    That light of set-up is going to be noisier than a heavier arrow, and......this is just my personal opinion and not really related to your lack of speed, but I think your arrow may be under spined and maybe a bit light on the front balance
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i have the F7 Mod. i'm fairly certain it's the F7 mod....i shot yesterday and looked at the mod....
    it's setup at 29 draw

my arrow length is fine...
    I'm actully going to reduce my draw length down to 28.5 inches....better suited for me.....how much fps am i going to lose...?
    the sts is fine as far as the string hitting it.....It's properly adjusted....
    Last edited by WestMichiganBowhunter; 01-31-2011 at 09:12 AM.

SonnyThomas

Default Bengal Speed...? A little dissappointed..

First, is ata correct? What I mean is, you may be right at the beginning of true draw weight. Meaning this, I have one bow that will check 60 pounds, but will be long on ata by 1/4 to 3/8" long. Adjust the ata and I still have the 60 pounds, but gain 8 to 11 fps. Here, I'm getting proper preload of the limbs.

Optimum cam position is another area to check. I'd rather see the cam over rotated than under rotated. Okay, wasted motion, but more of nock travel being effected.

And then tune. A whisker biscuit can rob 5 to 7 fps and depends on the fletching and degree of offset or helical. If the rest isn't adjusted correctly or the nocking point off the arrow fights to get through the WB and you lose more speed.

Already mentioned was the chronograph. The correct lighting kit needs used. Fluorescent lighting can really mess up a chronograph along with any type transformer, refrigerator, electric dryer, high lines, radio towers, etc. And shooting through a chronograph must be just so-so. Too low or too high and readings can vary. Same with distance. Recommended is one arrow length from face of chronograph.

Post Thanks / Like

Like mentioned above typically 1" is 10 fps, so you're looking at about 5 fps drop for 1/2 inch

Something doesn't sound right........F7 on a 2009 Bengal should be 30" draw?
    http://martinarchery.com/2011/2010_older_specs.php

I would recheck all specs like things Sonny mentioned, including making sure that Vapor Trail replacement string (& cable?) lengths are right.

You wouldn't happen to have the cable containment system (CCS) on yours would you?
    My '09 Bengal came with the CCS and STS. With CCS, it can not use the standard Bengal cable length of 34.0" and needs to use 34.5" like the Moab had that year.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

my bengal has the cable slide,,,,it's super easy to draw....the limbs are really really close to touching the riser....65-67lbs atleast.....

It's was tuned after the new vapor trail string was put on.....
    the module for the cam i will double check...too long for me

Who is really good at tuning up Martins.....?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

my bengal has the cable slide,,,,it's super easy to draw....the limbs are really really close to touching the riser....65-67lbs atleast.....

It's was tuned after the new vapor trail string was put on.....
    the module for the cam i will double check...too long for me

Who is really good at tuning up Martins.....?
    Post a pic so we can see where your cam is positioned. Also I agree with what Sonny is saying. All the little things add up. I have owned two Bengals. Unfortunately the ata has to be correct the brace height has to be correct and the cam has to be in the proper position. Before you will be able to quiet the bow and get more speed.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i will take pics tonight and try to post them or just e-mail them to a few of you helpful guys...

plus it won't matter, i know my drawlength is incorrect, so i will have to have my mods changed.......

My bow isn't that loud, in fact it's pretty quiet, but i think it could be a hair quieter, it's the speed that i'm more concerned about......it's not horribly slow, but i think it could be a bit faster.....

kbaird83

Also wondering what do you have on your string? I'm shooting faster than that w/ 29.5 draw length at 63lbs. Shooting 8.4 gpi arrows w/ 100g heads. And I'm closer to your 285 mark. Mines a 09 also. Very little noise. Had the sst trimmed 1/8th of and inch. It's suprisingly quiet. Also no problems with any flaking.