Thread: Older martin arrow rests

Unregistered

Default Older martin arrow rests

What type of arrow rests were originally put on older martin compounds in the 80's such as the lynx, cougar, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey unregistered,
    To the best of my knowledge, the big rest at that time was the Flipper rest. Most of the cogneti in my area used one, and they were really very good rests......especially for the price. Maybe someone on here will have been a Martin customer back then and can tell you what Martin was using. I switched to Martin last year (have bought several of their bows since then). Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of them came with this cheap hard black plastic rest: http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...0.0.0.0?pp=12&

All of mine back then got changed to a NAP Centerest Flipper, and still have it on my son's Jaguar and my older Firecat (we finger shoot both of those bows)
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

jahiatt

Default Martin rests

I have a Lynx and Cougar Magnum, both having a pressure type rest. I know these type rests are supposed to be good for finger shooters which I am, but I dont like them. Just wanna get the right rests for these bows. Tore the fletching some with the pressure rests, I'm assuming cock feather out with these type rests.
    I have a older Hoyt with single prong rest, Thats what I like,and I shoot cock feather up, but the riser is deeper than the Martin bows and maybe not have enough fletching clearance for this type rest.
    What I really want are rests where I can shoot the same arrows on every bow.
    Am I making sense?

Post Thanks / Like

For shooting fingers you really should have a rest that applies side pressure to the arrow to help compensate for archer's paradox. Some type of flipper rest with a cushion plunger (Berger button) works well. Also don't overlook something like the GKF Star Hunter, which is no longer made, but there are several like it suck as NAP 750, Cartel Star Hunter, Martin Springy, and a few others.

Neat thing about these rests is that they work for fingers or release and cost a fraction of the drop away rests so popular these days. I've got several GKF Star Hunters that I've had for about 20 years so no need to buy any more, but they wroked 20 years ago and they still work just as well today. So much so that I have one on my Alien Z being used for indoor target work.

I've tried most of the modern drop aways and several blade rests and just keep going back to these Star Hunters. Funny how much new technology isn't any better than what's been around for many years.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

That NAP Centerest Flipper I mentioned was the best I found for my finger shooting.......I use cock vane pointed out.
    http://www.newarchery.com/products/2...t-flipper.html

I never liked any of the rests w/pressure button and had trouble tuning any of the launcer tpye or prong type rests I tried.
    Was the old Hoyt rest the one with pressure button and spring loaded drop down single metal arm?......if so, those rests and I didn't play well together either. (w/ vane adjusted for clearance)

This NAP I use was easy to tune....for me....and I get very clean flight with (3) 4" helical fletched vanes.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    .....Martin Springy.....
    You just brought back some old memories. I used those a long long time ago, 20oz spring with heat shrink tubing pushed up the first coil to deaden the scratching noise of metal spring on aluminum arrow
    Can't imagine using it now, but I liked it better then, than the black plastic rest that come w/bow.

jahiatt

Default martin rests

Hope these pics work. I like the Golden Key rest on the Hoyt. The riser is offset a little more at the bottom. Look at the Martins, I dont think I would have clearance with the same rest. Am I on the right track?
    Attached Images Attached Images

jahiatt

Default Martin rests

Sorry for the giant pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jahiatt View Post
    Sorry for the giant pics.
    You shuld be able to resize them within your computer program. Try it.
    The first rest you show is better suited to release shooting. I used this type about 15 years ago. Now the others should work fairly well for fingers.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver