Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: User friendly Martins

Post Thanks / Like

Default User friendly Martins

I'm looking to get into a Martin bow. I love the looks & feel of the cloaked Pantera. However, my dealer doesn't have any lefty's in stock for me to shoot. I currently shoot a twin cam Bowtech and would like to move over to a single cam bow. I've been researching Martins and have a few questions for the people that should know.
    The Pantera, Bengal, Cheetah, and Firecar TR1 all have pretty much the same specs. The only difference I can see is the brace height, with the exception of the 30" ata on the Cheetah. So, are these bows all the same? How much difference does 1/4" of brace height make? Is the Cheetah "twitchy" due to the short ata? Do the Martins have a forgiving valley? Also, does the CCS system have an advantage over the slide?
    Last edited by NuttyNative; 02-09-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They all are very good bows. The shorter the BH the faster the bow ... but less comfortable and forgiving to shoot. I have a 2008 MOAB - it's almost the same bow as the TR1 and i like it very much. It depends on your preference but i'd take a bow with a longer A2A. I can't say about the CCS, because i've never used one, but the good old cable slide does the job good enough. However the 2011 models have a new system - the TRG which is quite different from both the CCS and the slider.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking at the 2010's, IMO the Pantera was the better choice of the bows you have listed, while it shares the same specs as the TR1 and Bengal, the riser geometry is alittle different. The Pantera's limbs have a bit more preload and go a little more beyond paralell at full draw making it a little quieter and vibration free at the shot. With the 2010's, you can change the ccs to a rod/slide or the other way around depending on what the bow comes with. Either system works fine, no real advantage with either system. The 2011's come with the TRG which can also be changed out for a standard rod and slide if desired.
    Can't answer your question on the Cheetah as I haven't had much time behind one of those, I'm sure one of the Cheetah owners on here will chime in and give their opinion.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Was looking at a 2011 Pantera at a dealer and the others on Martins website. I beleve my Bowtech is 32 or 32.5 ata.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about the other bows but i own the tr1 and i am very happy with it. I got it for 350 because it was left over from last year. good bow
    2010 Firecat Tr1, tru-glo microbrite, NAP Apache, X-coil Beman ics 400

Post Thanks / Like

i dont find the cheetah twichy..... but thats comparing it to an alien x which has just a bit more ata than the cheetah. ....
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon guy's, looking for input here.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you exactly looking to find out? Martin's line of bows are less expensive, just as accurate as other brands and fine shooters. After that it is just preference. I shoot a left handed 2010 Bengal, an excellent bow. And have owned many other martins. As you mentioned in the beginning you are interested in the Pantera. I have not owned one but I know they are a super bow. And as far as I know the Pantera has not had many problems.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also you mentioned about bh. The more bh, the more forgiving the bow is. The longer the ATA better the shooter it is . The shorter ATA like the cheetah the more accurate you have to be. As far as ccs some like them some don't. I myself prefer cable rod. Hope this helps

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    C'mon guy's, looking for input here.
    I have shot all the bows you have mentioned a good deal, with the exception of the Cheetah. I have shot a number of Cheetahs while setting them up and tuning them for customers, but I've never set one up just for me to shoot.
    The other bows you mention, I have pulled from the rack and setup to my specs and shot. If I had to pick just one of those to shoot, it would be the Pantera.
    They all have a very similar draw cycle, but the Pantera seems to hold better and feels a little better at the shot, which may be because the riser geometry is similar to the AlienX that I own.

If your current bow is 32"AtA, I would suggest staying with something similar.

If your local shop dosen't have a left hand Pantera in stock for you to shoot, have them setup a right hand with about 5# less DW and shoot it left handed. You will still be able to get a feel for how the bow draws and shoots. I have had a few southpaws come in and try new bows this way. I have also setup and shot left hand bows right handed. Its not the ideal situation, but will give you some feed back.

Advantage Custom Strings