Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: User friendly Martins

Post Thanks / Like

Narrowed it down to a Pantrea or Firecat 360.

SonnyThomas

Default User friendly Martins

I was just thinking about the title, User friendly Martins. They are friendly for the user, but I don't think any more than the next bow provided you work with whatever next bow. I mean, I set up a Martin just as easy as I do a Hoyt or Pearson. Figure it's just like starting a new type of line of work, awkward and draining to start and then after a while things just become easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I was just thinking about the title, User friendly Martins. They are friendly for the user, but I don't think any more than the next bow provided you work with whatever next bow. I mean, I set up a Martin just as easy as I do a Hoyt or Pearson. Figure it's just like starting a new type of line of work, awkward and draining to start and then after a while things just become easier.
    Very true, Sonny. Although there are differences between bows, setting them up and tuning them is all the same procedure. Some are little more complicated, but not so much that they can't be figured out.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default User friendly Martins

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Very true, Sonny. Although there are differences between bows, setting them up and tuning them is all the same procedure. Some are little more complicated, but not so much that they can't be figured out.
    Yep. I'm down to the point I don't use a B.H. all that much.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for Pantera, which I use in my hub groundblind. Can shoot this bow all day. Easy draw, quiet, forgiving, love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Very true, Sonny. Although there are differences between bows.
    This is what I'm looking for. For some reason there aren't many Martins around these parts and I have nobody local to ask other than a dealer that's trying to push them out the door. Mathews, Bowtech, Diamond, PSE, and Hoyt run rampant here. I felt the members of this forum could give me an insite on the Martin line-up. Smooth draw, easy maint, do's & don'ts, draw weight charistics, tuning tips, and whatever you can think of.
    I am wanting to get into a smooth single cam bow. As Hutch said, Martins are more affordable although that's not why I'm looking at them. I've had a few bows that needed constant tinkering to be accurate, a few that lost their comfort, and one that I love but is getting harder to pull back by the end of the day.
    The cloaked Pantera caught my attention as did the Firecat 360. I am a hunter first and target guy/3D shooter second. Elk, deer, antelope, and turkey are what I hunt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    If your local shop dosen't have a left hand Pantera in stock for you to shoot, have them setup a right hand with about 5# less DW and shoot it left handed. You will still be able to get a feel for how the bow draws and shoots. I have had a few southpaws come in and try new bows this way. I have also setup and shot left hand bows right handed. Its not the ideal situation, but will give you some feed back.
    I did this today with a 2010 Pantera. Gotta say the draw cycle and valley were sweet around 57lbs. I had them turn it up to 61, then to 70. At each level the draw seemed harsher, not as fluid as the lower weight. The two constants that were present were the nice valley to wall, and the noise.
    I belive this is one of the loudest bow's I've ever shot. Is this common? Dealer say's yes, they (Martins) need to be tweeked quite a bit to get them quieter. Arrow selection made a huge difference. The bow seemed to like the full metal jackets best.
    They are still waiting on the 2011's and he said Martin has alot of improvements on these. The biggest in his opinion is the roto cup limb pockets. He is wanting me to try the Onza & Friecats.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cheetah owner

I've got a 2010 Cheetah w the Mpro cam. It drawa smooth,shoots smooth w no hand shock,plenty fast for me though I haven't chrono'd it and probably won't,nock splitting accuracy,comfy grip. My ONLY complaint,actually more of an annoyance,when I hold the bow,it seems to twist in my hand. Like it's got a quiver full of arrows but without. But I shoot it accurately and it feels like an extension of my arm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    I did this today with a 2010 Pantera. Gotta say the draw cycle and valley were sweet around 57lbs. I had them turn it up to 61, then to 70. At each level the draw seemed harsher, not as fluid as the lower weight. The two constants that were present were the nice valley to wall, and the noise.
    I belive this is one of the loudest bow's I've ever shot. Is this common? Dealer say's yes, they (Martins) need to be tweeked quite a bit to get them quieter. Arrow selection made a huge difference. The bow seemed to like the full metal jackets best.
    They are still waiting on the 2011's and he said Martin has alot of improvements on these. The biggest in his opinion is the roto cup limb pockets. He is wanting me to try the Onza & Friecats.
    If noise is an issue with yours then maybe a few twists of the string and/or cables could make a difference. Sometimes altering the cam orientation will reap huge benefits. Playing with the position of the STS can help. And there is always the old standby called Cat Whiskers, although the STS is supposed to be the answer to this. Never discount the accessories. Often it's these that make the most noise, especially drop away rests and quivers, if you're shooting with a quiver on it.

Hawg, that twisting motion or sensation you feel is just a byproduct of having a super short bow. Something you either get used to or get a longer bow next time. Personally I'll opt for the longer bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    This is not really common, especially on the Pantera. If the string and cable are set to spec and the sts is properly adjusted it should be extremely quiet. The rubber stopper will also affect how loud the bow is, the BowJax Macdaddy is by far the quietest unit.

Assuming the bow has the factory yellow/black speckled strings, they are probably out of spec unless your shop pulled them off and measured them, most of the ones I saw were out of spec right out of the box and this will have some bearing on how the bow feels at the shot. The assembly techs seem to be doing a much better job this year with the bows coming in very close to spec right out of the box.

Advantage Custom Strings