Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: User friendly Martins

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if that might be due to the GREEN strings? Is Martin using the Hammerhead strings on all the bows or just the Pros series? If so then maybe better string material coupled with better attention to their assembly would account for better bow specs out of the box.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall what string was on it. Think it was yellow & black? There was a rubber mounted quiver on it, limb driver rest, didn't pay attention to the sight because I wasn't using it anyway (right hand).
    The STS looked to be set right, based on how my bow is setup. I also use a Rip Cord and no noise at all comes from it. If I'm not mistaken all the noise was comming from the string, I don't believe they were the Hammerheads. I'm sure that playing with/making adjustments would benefit it greatly. As I said, arrow choice made huge differences in noise. They did not have any Easton Axis for demo, only Gold Tip (don't know what spine) and the full metal jackets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I wonder if that might be due to the GREEN strings? Is Martin using the Hammerhead strings on all the bows or just the Pros series? If so then maybe better string material coupled with better attention to their assembly would account for better bow specs out of the box.
    Barry, The Hammerhead strings are used on both Pro and Gold series this year. They started with them very late in2010 as they used up the supply of the other strings. All bows are now shipped with a quality check list that has to be signed off by 2 inspectors before the bow is shipped.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Barry, The Hammerhead strings are used on both Pro and Gold series this year. They started with them very late in2010 as they used up the supply of the other strings. All bows are now shipped with a quality check list that has to be signed off by 2 inspectors before the bow is shipped.
    Now that is some great news!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I'd say.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

bfisher, thanks for the input. I didn't think of the short bow syndrome. It's the shortest I've shot. I like it,though. Nothing I can't get used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Honestly, it's good to hear that the premium strings are used on all the bows now. It's also nice to hear that the bows are not only being assembled, but also another person is checking them before they get shipped. Now whether person #2 is actually checking them or pencil whipping the form might be up for speculation, but I'd like to think that because Martin is showing some interest in better quality control that the person (s) doing the job would do so with integrity in mind. At least it seems maybe Martin is answering some customer requests for better QC before shipment.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The guys at the shop here said " Factory Martin strings are for looks, first thing you'll want to change" They are patiently waiting for the 2011's with all the new improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

Got some questions on the Firecat's.
    Draw weight is draw weight right? 60lbs is 60lbs and so on...
    Is getting to that point different with dual cams vs a single cam?
    Meaning will the draw cycle be smoother on one over the other?

Here is my delima. My BT is at 68lbs and is getting harder to draw as the day go on. I don't like the way it feels when I turn it down to 60. The draw is much better but it feels "spongy" and I don't like the limbs that far away from the riser. I've been told that a single cam has an easier draw cycle and I want to drop down to 60lb max. I also believe a 60lb bow maxed out will out perform one that has been turned down.
    Not really into the speed game but would like stay somewhere between 290-310 with a 425 grain arrow. I have a 30.5" draw and shoot 29 1/4" arrows. Hunting in Nevada requires 15-60 yard shots most of the time.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

SonnyThomas

Default User friendly Martins

Yes, draw weight is draw weight. It's just that some draw weight is easier or smoother coming up due to cam design whether single or dual cam.

If speaking the M Pro cam, yes, I believe it is smoother than the Catcams.

If 68 pounds is harder to draw as the day goes on then you are over bowed, a smoother cam won't help.

If speaking of the Catcams and this "spongy" feeling perhaps the bow is either out of time, draw stop off or both. Timed and draw stop set correctly the Catcams have a rock solid wall.

There may be some performance loss with limbs backed off, but today's closer tolerance and design seems well to maintain accuracy.

Any 60 pound bow, with extremely few exceptions, will be hard pressed to hit those speeds with a 425 gr arrow. 270 to 280 fps would be more realistic and this would pack a hefty amount of KE with a 425 gr arrow.

Hunting 60 yard shots with a bow. I'm not saying they are not possible, but so many variables say it's unethical if not kind of dumb. Wind effect on arrow, animal taking one step, turning? I won't take such a shot. 40 yards is my max and I've never had to take a 40 yard shot. 36 yards is the longest kill shot I've taken, twice, and never attempted before. I felt everything was on my side when I took these shots.