Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous cams

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nitrous cams

Ok, I know nothing about the nitrous cams. Nothing at all. Can someone fill me in on what was so great about them, and what kind of draw and speeds they had? Just trying to learn a bit here. Thought about trying them on an old Rytera Bullet X riser if that would give me some benefit. Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Read this thread : http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...ead.php?t=8589

And I'm sure Copterdoc will find this thread and hopefully fill in any other questions you have.

I'm getting settled in with my 06 Slayer that I've put Nitrous "B" cams on it . Picked up almost 8# of draw weight. Not that I wanted that . It seems to like it just shots alot better. Might be all in my mind....
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Ok, I know nothing about the nitrous cams. Nothing at all. Can someone fill me in on what was so great about them, and what kind of draw and speeds they had? Just trying to learn a bit here. Thought about trying them on an old Rytera Bullet X riser if that would give me some benefit. Thanks all!
    I'd say moderatly hard draw, but really have no other cam to compare it to, first compound I ever shot was the 1st 06 Slyer I bought 2 month after torn rotator cull surgery. I've been drawing 29", with a bent bow ram elbow, leaning into the sting, using a wrist strap release. I'm changing to a hand held release, and straighting up, and will be drawing 30.5-31"
    The 63# Slayer is now shooting 400 grn Beman hunters...291 fps.. 75ke
    changing to 447 grn CX Predator ll at 30.5 draw I gain 1 fps. 292....85ke, but gain 10 foot lbs more hit, just in case there's bone there! At 63 lbs!
    The 55#er will be the fire breather, 318 grn GT Ultralights...315 fps ..70ke
    and the 50# Cougar Elite, 312 grn GT Utlralights..............292 fps..59 ke
    The C's are quick, B's are fast.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1372944
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

The Nitrous cam, is the best performing X-cam ever made. There is no other truly laterally balanced cam, that comes anywhere close.

It has a widely spaced hub, that houses the best bearing system ever put in a cam.

It is also the most efficient cam Martin has ever produced. The Hybrix and Nitro cams can only match it's speeds, despite having a "harder" draw force curve, that requires more effort from the archer.

The Nitrous cam is not perfect. It is a dual cam, that doesn't provide as much let-off as a Binary could. However, it is the best "total package" that has ever been mass produced by any archery manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW !!! 315 fps at 55#. With "c"'s . Cannt wait to see what mine will do at 70# and "b" 's with 365 grain arrows.
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

Post Thanks / Like

For comparison I had a 2004 SlayR with Nitrous B cams. Set up at 27.5" draw,53# and shooting a 275gr arrow (3D) it shot 308 fps. Some months after I got it I shortened the draw to 27" and still got 299 fps.

Depending on what bow they're on the B Nitrous cams were the more efficient of the three sizes. Some didn't like the cams, voicing that they didn't have any letoff. The truth is that they just rolled over into the valley in a smoother manner so it didn't feel like it dropped much, but it was normally between 70% and 75% (75% advertised).

What I particularly liked about them was that the cams were installed right in the middle of the limb fork. This allowed the string and cams to line up right down the center of the riser so the rest and sight pins lined up right down the middle, too, if the bow was set up right.

With the X mods and cabling there was NO (zero) limb twist and the cam lean associated with the cable guard/slide bows we all have. It tuned really easily and because it had four cables it tended to stay in tune. What's more, it was a simple dual cam system; one that had been in vogue for at least 20 years before the advent of solo cams.

A lot of people don't realize it, but single cam bows didn't enter the archery scene until the early 90's. Up to that point there was nothing around but dual wheels/cams. And I honestly don't remember so many problems with bows back then like we do today.

OK, enough. I'm getting off track.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I read the thread that Elk posted, and all I can say is huh? lol Basically, I was thinking about turning this single cam Bullet X into a dual cam if possible. It's a 60# bow with 4H limbs. Would it be possible, and would there be any real advantage to using the Nitrous cams over a Cat or Hybrix cam system? Seems like the nitrous cams are better than the newer cams, but for a turkey hunting bow, would there be any benefit?
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you read this AT thread?

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1372944
    More on Nitrous cams, sorry if my post confused you.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Elkslayer4X5, it wasn't the post, just the content in it. lol I got a decent grasp of the info, but not sure how it would apply to my bow. Having never seen the Nitrous cams before, I was happy to see your link included a pic or two. I'm assuming from what I read, the Nitrous cams can be shoot through, or regular. Just trying to figure out if they'd work on the bow I have, or if it would take some major overhauling.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to a guy on AT that has a Slayer for sale with Nitrous X "B" cams on it. Last I looked he was down to 310.00 for the bow with sight and stab. If I wasn't so broke it would be on its way here.
    The pics he has posted shows the system real well.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1418964

Advantage Custom Strings