Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Jaguar Magnum 2006

mvparkman

Default Questions about Jaguar Magnum 2006

I'm wondering about this bow that I'm looking at (first bow, new hunter).

He's posted the sticker specs in the ad and it lists "wt: 35-50#" Does this mean the limbs are only good for 50lbs? Everything I've read about this bow says max wt is 70. Am I missing something?

see the ad here:
    http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/spo/2198388235.html

Much thanks from a new guy

Post Thanks / Like

This is a 50# bow, it can go some pounds up, but more then 2-3 ain't safe i think. If you'll use it for hunting it can kill a deer, but i wouldn't use it against a bigger animal. If you want it just for recreational shooting it's great.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

mvparkman

Default gotcha

Are there 70# limbs?

Would probably be hog hunting more than deer.

Post Thanks / Like

There are Jaguars with 70lb limbs, as a matter of fact I own one, and it shoots great.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mvparkman View Post
    "wt: 35-50#" Does this mean the limbs are only good for 50lbs.?

Much thanks from a new guy
    This means that the bow can be adjusted from 35 to 50 lbs. Mine can be adjusted from 55 to 70 lbs.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.
    I almost forgot that.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying new limbs for this bow will be more expensive then buying another bow. I don't know if there are still proper limbs sold for this model. If not you'll have to buy limbs, cams, etc. - i guess at least about 250$. If you really want a 70# bow you'd better keep on searching. By the way if you're an absolute beginner 70 pounds limbs aren't the best choice.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Buying new limbs for this bow will be more expensive then buying another bow. I don't know if there are still proper limbs sold for this model. If not you'll have to buy limbs, cams, etc. - i guess at least about 250$. If you really want a 70# bow you'd better keep on searching. By the way if you're an absolute beginner 70 pounds limbs aren't the best choice.
    Yeah, I don't believe that Martin still has the limbs in stock, and yes it will be very pricey to purchase limbs, cams, etc.

mvparkman

Default OK so.....

Can I responsibly (skill not withstanding) hunt hog with this bow and not worry about it not being able to kill.

I owned, briefly, a Bear TRX that was a 55-70 (never got to hunt with it. long story) and was able to shoot that one fairly well at minimum #. With this one maxed out, is it reasonable to hunt with and is $200 for the whole thing a decent enough deal?
    I've heard Ted Nugent say that 50# will kill anything in North America. True statement or exaggerated Nug-ism?
    Thanks for all the input, ya'll.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mvparkman View Post
    Can I responsibly (skill not withstanding) hunt hog with this bow and not worry about it not being able to kill.

and is $200 for the whole thing a decent enough deal?

I've heard Ted Nugent say that 50# will kill anything in North America. True statement or exaggerated Nug-ism?
    Thanks for all the input, ya'll.
    Yes, I don't think there will be a problem.

OH YEAH!!

I think he's right on.