Thread: What tuning methods do you guys use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What tuning methods do you guys use?

There are so many different tuning methods out its kind of overwhelming trying to figure out wich ones to use and in wich order. Just wondering what you guys do and why you use them over all the others.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Once the initial setup is done. We do either french tuning or walk back tuning. Do a search on here and look at sonny's french tuning that will get you exactly where you want to be.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

The only method that we use anymore is paper tuning. After the initial setup is complete, nock point, cam timing, center shot and a quick check of arrow spine, we start our initial paper tuning at 10' then after getting a read on what the arrow is doing we make some minor adjustments and check again, if we are getting close to a perfect hole, we move back and check it at 20', 30' and then 20yds then make whatever adjustments are needed and recheck at all distances.
    I can usually get most bows to shoot a perfect hole within the 1st few shots, some can be a bit more time consuming and for some reezen, there is one particular bow made by another company that never would tune, after 2hours of trying everything I knew the customer finally acknowledged that we were the 3rd shop that week to try to tune that bow.
    I have found that if I can get a bow to shoot perfect holes from 10' to 20yds that it will almost always shoot fixed blade bh's to the same poi as field points.

Advantage Custom Strings

SonnyThomas

Default What tuning methods do you guys use?

Basic bow setup and then I eyeball in center shot (don't care for lasers). Arrow centered to Berger hole and nock point a tad high, less than 1/8". When setting up I use levels for bow and arrow.

I then move to variation of Walk Back tuning for indoor and 3D bows.

Outdoor and field bows; French tune and the play with rest height or nocking point to see if groups can be tightened.

Rarely paper tune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    The only method that we use anymore is paper tuning. After the initial setup is complete, nock point, cam timing, center shot and a quick check of arrow spine, we start our initial paper tuning at 10' then after getting a read on what the arrow is doing we make some minor adjustments and check again, if we are getting close to a perfect hole, we move back and check it at 20', 30' and then 20yds then make whatever adjustments are needed and recheck at all distances.
    I can usually get most bows to shoot a perfect hole within the 1st few shots, some can be a bit more time consuming and for some reezen, there is one particular bow made by another company that never would tune, after 2hours of trying everything I knew the customer finally acknowledged that we were the 3rd shop that week to try to tune that bow.
    I have found that if I can get a bow to shoot perfect holes from 10' to 20yds that it will almost always shoot fixed blade bh's to the same poi as field points.
    Same here.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Use to always use bare shaft tuning (finger shooting) and later some paper tuning. Now with the Bengal and release it's all paper tune.
    Once I have it shooting bullet holes with target arrows, I'll start at 20yds and make very slight arrow rest adjustments to get broadheads hitting in there with field points. (I use same arrow for both)

Recently tuned / re-tuned my Bengal with broadheads and honestly don't know what the paper tune looks like now.
    I know final close range paper tuning on my finger bows has typically ended up a touch high and away from the bow. (shoot around flipper type rest)
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Basic set-up,then walk back,and finally BH.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X