Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: arrow straightness...does it matter? or is it marketing hype

Post Thanks / Like

Also at what distance can you see this improvement, 20 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards?
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    if it just makes a person feel superior.
    Doesn't make people feel superior that I'm aware of. Do you think it makes a person feel unhappy to have lower quality gear? I know that is the point of advertising sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Also at what distance can you see this improvement, 20 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards?
    I can see a difference shooting in my back yard range of 18 yards going from Ultralight Pro's to Velocity Hunters. We aren't just talking straightness but spine and weight as well. Better consistency for me for sure.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair wouldn't it need to be the GT velocity hunters against the GT Velocity pros?
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Same specs I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb There is a lot of snake oil in the pool....

How a bow is setup is going to make a lot of difference. The bare bow is only a base from which the shooting implement is created. The bare shaft is also only a base from which an arrow is created. The meticulous creation of the arrow from its various components will determine how true of a projectile is produced. Knowing the work ethnic prevalent in the world today, I don't trust an arrow that was completed by someone else. What good is a straightness tolerance if you don't square your cut ends or your inserts, or check if you have consistent spine and weight tolerances?

Value and quality are not a direct function of price unless the price is indeed justified by Craftsmanship and Integrity. Bows and Arrows, Houses or Cars. An old adage comes to mind here, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

A good arrow takes time, a better one takes more. Straightness tolerances are a beginning point. If I was a tournament archer I would want the best I could afford. I would want to insure every step of the process. Even my targets would have to be of a material that would do the least harm to my arrow upon impact and extraction. I am not going to shoot an excellent arrow into crap.

Easton A/C/C's are only .0025 and the FatBoys are only .005 but they are both chosen by many top competitors. For many reasons I will stick with the Eastons...I own some Carbon Express and some Satellite Archery arrows along with my Eastons. The Satellites in the various series [Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze] were some great target arrows at low cost. My Eastons are .001 my Carbon Express are .003 and my Satellites are .006 tolerances. I think the perfect spine and grns per inch along with FOC are more important than the straightness tolerance with today's production arrows. JMHO

Just trying to be a better Cherokee than I was yesterday...

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Last edited by peace; 08-22-2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Same specs I think.
    Construction techniques and tolerances could differ between brands. I think the only true and fair test would be to have arrows within the same brand built by the same person using the same methods. In other words all else equal only one set of arrows are .006" and one set .001" tolerance. Then shoot them from a machine to take out as much human error human as possible.

"Doesn't make people feel superior that I'm aware of. Do you think it makes a person feel unhappy to have lower quality gear? I know that is the point of advertising sometimes."

Sorry, I didn't mean it come out as making the owner feel superior. I meant it as it makes the owner feel he has a superior product.

I don't have any of the answers so these are just my thoughts. I've never seen any empirical data on this subject but as you know I am a green horn don't have a lot of archery knowledge.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 08-22-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I cant shoot well enough to tell the difference. So if it kills my deer at 30yds and under I'm happy. If I was a serious target shooter I'm sure it would matter, but that would probably be more in I have confidence in the arrow so I shoot that arrow better. I'm new with bows but I see the same thing with rifles. You shoot a rifle your confident with and you do well, if that rifle is $200 or $2000. Its about confidence and practice. I think .006 is the width of a human hair or something like that, so for where I'm at in archery it makes no difference whatsoever. Other guys may think different, and to each his own.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I cant shoot well enough to tell the difference.
    This right here.
    Yes, I'm sure that a .001 arrow shot from a shooting machine will shoot a LITTLE better than a .006 arrow shot from the same bow and machine, because, after all, it is straighter.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

And the faster your arrow goes the more important it is that its straighter. any flaws or imperfections will multiply as velocity increases.
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever seen a real study on this subject, real test data and all that? You would think if such material existed the arrow manufactures would be all over that like Barry on a spammer.
    Firecat 400