Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: arrow straightness...does it matter? or is it marketing hype

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    You can bet arrow manufacturers have indeed done very serious testing of straightness, spine and all aspects of their arrow. However it could be that they do not want to disclose their specific detailed data for all to see, especially competitors.
    Or, "maybe" they wouldn't want to disclose that something like the straightness of .006 vs .003 vs .001, is so minor that they prefer the consumer decide for themselves if it's really working better for them.

I personally would "assume" that all things will not be the precisely the same, with only straightness that an arrow being different. I would expect arrows having .001 straightness would probably, more importantly so, also have a tighter matched spine and consistant weight than the lower end .006 arrows
    x3 Well said.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Man, another one of these threads that just will not die.
    Alot has changed since my first post several months ago.
    I gave up the ics hunters I was using, cheep arrow but when you are buying a dozen every other month somethin aint right, me.
    I tryed a friends easton st axis arrows and liked them alot, built like a tank. These are not the full metal jackets.
    More than the ics for sure but I guess a better arrow will cost you more.
    I believe they are both .003 straightness but they sure don't shoot the same.
    A smaller diameter and thicker wall seem to make a world of difference, they are only 4/10 of a gpi difference in weight.
    I would like to know why all this talk about straightness and nothing about how they are fletched making any difference.
    You can't tell me that it makes a difference in .1 or .2 or .3000's straightness and the fletching have .00000000000000000000000000 so that every arrow will fly as good as the straightness of the arrow.
    A bent vane will make an arrow fly different than one that is not bent.
    A helical fletched arrow will fly different than a straight fletched arrow and there is no disputing that fact.
    How many have accually checked your vanes to see if they are perfectly straight?
    Are you telling me that a 1000 of an inch on an arrow is more crucial than what guides the thing?
    I would like to see the difference an arrow shoots with bent vanes, different straightness arrows.
    I don't think it would make any difference at all as to how straight an arrow is unless you have a perfect fletching on it.
    Whatever that might be and how it would be attached so that it had zero effect on the arrow. NOT happening !!
    I guess people that can afford whatever bow and arrows they want won't care about spending 200 or more for a dozen arrows.
    The one thing they won't know is that their 200 dollar arrows will have the same 2 dollar blazers that mine have !!
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Cyclepath, there is some credance to what you say and that is why a lot of us fletch our own arrows. Unlike mass produced ones we can weigh each component individually. There is a reason I don't use vanes any more. I took a pack of 50 4" vanes once and weighed each one on a digital scale. I forget the brand, but suffice it to say they weren't top quality ones. I was astounded at the results. Although most weighed around 8.8 grains there were several that were 8.4 and several that were around 12 grains. There was one that was about 15 grains.

Now, with mass produced arrows you don't think the person fletching weighs each and every one do you? Get two 12's and an 8 and what does this do to the balance of the arrow as it's spinning? I think you get my drift. So your point does have some merit.

What Sonny mentioned also is good. For 3D I shoot 2" feathers, usually Trueflight set to a pretty hard helical. Feathers weigh so little that I have shot at a 3D shoot with feathers falling off the arrow like raindrops (poor shaft prep on my part). I shot a couple of arrows with two feathers and even one with only one feather and they all hit the same place as an arrow with three fletch, at least out to 40 yards or so. Some of this was due to the fact that my bow was tuned very well. It would shoot bare shafts like they were laser guided. In fact, I finished the last 5 targets shooting bare shafts (27 yard avg).
    There's a good story to end this. A guy in the group behind me saw how my bow shot and asked if I would be willing to sell it. I told him to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. Soon after he wrote me a check and I came home without the bow. The bow was a 1999 Golden Eagle Lightspeed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Golden Eagle, one of the fine bow companies that didn't survive the Bear/Jennings merger. I really don't understand why they killed it off. Golden Eagle was a bow just about anyone could pick up and shoot and shoot well. My 1999 Evolution is still killing deer. I sold it to my neighbor right after I went with Hoyt. His wife bought it from me for his birthday. Still says it's one of the best birthday presents he's ever had.

I'm still working on B.B. for that super barn burner that GE didn't get out to the market before it went down the tube.
    Not only was it a bow that almost anbody could shoot it was also a bow that almost anybody could afford. Not top quality finish or anything, but just a good ole bread and butter, reliable, hunting bow. I was shooting for GE at the time (1999)and Bear buying them out negated my contract or I might still be shooting them. For 2000 I moved to Pearson/McPherson, another underrated company. Oh well, that's ancient history.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver