Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: arrow straightness...does it matter? or is it marketing hype

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I meant it as it makes the owner feel he has a superior product.
    Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    And the faster your arrow goes the more important it is that its straighter. any flaws or imperfections will multiply as velocity increases.
    Exactly, add lighter into the mix as well. Less weight means any influences have a greater effect.

Has anyone ever seen a real study on this subject, real test data and all that?
    No need for a study because archery is all about consistency, the archers and the gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

A.S.

I don't see anything on those links that show scientific data? That appears to be just like here, people discussing it. I was serious, if there was empirical data out there don't you think all the arrow manufactures would be citing it to help sell their product?

Again, I mean everything the same, the arrows have the same spine consistency, build and all that. Machine shot so the archer can't have a psychological edge with one arrow or the other.

I did find this humorous. "The worst shooting shafts I ever had were .001 - the straightest I ever shot. Go figure."
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

We might have to try with our shooting machine sometime.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Kinky Straight....

Here is an arrow used in the 3D tournament posted in a thread here, the arrow has a distinct kink in it yet shoots just fine, wonder what its straightness tolerance is...

Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

I read some where that the arrows are created in one long tube and then cut to size. Once they are cut then they are sorted according to straightness. So if this is true then the arrows are built the same they are just graded after the fact.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't believe the tolerances are enough to make results worth the extra $. Better results could be obtained by "the average archer" practicing more. Not only that the drift or other adverse effects are not what they would be on say the ballistics that govern firearms. Their effects are multiplied greatly because of extreme distances of the bullet flight path.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

A.S.

I don't see anything on those links that show scientific data?............I was serious, if there was empirical data out there don't you think all the arrow manufactures would be citing it to help sell their product?

Again, I mean everything the same, the arrows have the same spine consistency, build and all that. Machine shot so the archer can't have a psychological edge with one arrow or the other. ............
    You can bet arrow manufacturers have indeed done very serious testing of straightness, spine and all aspects of their arrow. However it could be that they do not want to disclose their specific detailed data for all to see, especially competitors.
    Or, "maybe" they wouldn't want to disclose that something like the straightness of .006 vs .003 vs .001, is so minor that they prefer the consumer decide for themselves if it's really working better for them.

I personally would "assume" that all things will not be the precisely the same, with only straightness that an arrow being different. I would expect arrows having .001 straightness would probably, more importantly so, also have a tighter matched spine and consistant weight than the lower end .006 arrows
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    I would expect arrows having .001 straightness would probably, more importantly so, also have a tighter matched spine and consistant weight than the lower end .006 arrows
    Same here otherwise you would be seeing extra grading. Overall I guess you have to make the decision whether to pay the extra $$ for the better graded shafts. For hunting my Velocity Hunters are good enough even at +- .006" max but I would buy the better shafts if I didn't loose the f'ing things so easy.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I not being a wise guy but crooked doesn't matter. What matters is the roundness of the arrow tube. If the arrow tube is oval (which they are because carbon can't be made prefect) the will not spin correctly. That is why there is a straightness factored in.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com